Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cats won’t get along

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Effy Murphy, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Effy Murphy

Effy Murphy PetForums Newbie

Hi, just wanting some advice on my cats, I have 5 cats, 2 of which are my mums who I’m living with at the moment. My 3 on the other hand....basically I had my first one couple years ago, she’s 2, she had a litter of 4 unplanned babies (didn’t realise they can start breeding so damn early) before she was 1, ended up keeping 2 of them, boy and a girl. They got along fine for months, both kittens and mama were done within months of each other but then the girl did start attacking one of the other 2 (she’s a small girl very timid) Then she started pissing everywhere. And now (kittens are 1 now) all the cats in the house growl hiss whenever she’s near, mama hates her, brother hates her. I’ve got feliway plugged in and it’s not working. I don’t know what to do and I really wanted to avoid taking them vets just to get given medication so if someone has some miracle advice it would be great! I don’t know if this is relevant but this is what I’m being driven to, the one that’s being hated on is long hair and the rest are short haired, I know it sounds crazy but could that be anything to do with it Thanks in advance hope it’s not too complicated

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Effy Murphy and welcome :)

I assume all the cats are now neutered?

The situation sounds very stressful for everyone - you and all the cats. Particularly the poor cat who is being badly bullied. The fact she is longhaired and the other cats are shorthaired is nothing to do with it. Unlike humans, cats do not make judgement calls based on looks, but react to behaviour and scents.

Kitty is being bullied because she does not stand up for herself. I strongly recommend that you find her a new home, preferably as an only cat, so there is no risk of her being bullied in her new home.

I don't see any viable solution other than rehoming her. You have tried for a year to integrate the 5 cats and it has not worked. The longhaired one is being made a scapegoat by the others and it is unfair to allow this situation to continue, and could result in her developing a stress related illness such as cystitis.

I would contact some of your local Rescues after the lockdown is over in December and see if you can find a place for her in a Shelter. Being longhaired she will be popular and it will be easy for the Rescue to get her adopted. They will carry out home checks to make sure she goes to a good home.

If you decide to keep her then she needs to be kept apart from the other cats, in her own section of the house (not just one room) to which the other cats have no access. Not very practical in your mother's house I would think, and with 5 cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice