Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat's throwing up soon after eating

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by dem7, May 6, 2011.

1. dem7

dem7 PetForums Newbie

Nothing scary about the food she's vomiting; no blood or anything. No constipation.

I want to try getting her some food for sensitive cats but I was wondering what other cat-owners get? I figure you might have some recommendations for picky cats. And I don't know if cats have the benefit of food based on weight or size, 'cause my cat is small. We give both dry and wet food. Dry food is the grain-type.

She eats fast. How would I slow her down? I've read less food at one time. But I do not understand how 'putting a heavy object in the bowl' would work. Does the cat circling around the object make her think she's taking longer because she's eating a lot? I read this on a Yahoo Answers post.

Reason why I haven't taken her to the vet: most of the symptoms and behaviors meet eating-habits rather than health issues. Would it be safe to try a change in habits first before a vet visit?

Thank you.

2. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

It's simple really, give her small portions every half hour or so. My cat throws up sometimes if I feed her late and she wolfs it down (although she threw up this morning too and I'd fed her early.)

It happens immediately after she eats as she eats too quick! So just give smaller portions spread out. :)

3. dem7

dem7 PetForums Newbie

Ah alright, thank you.

4. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Does she tend to throw up her dry food or her wet food more often? Or both?

5. dem7

dem7 PetForums Newbie

Both. I think she has less issues with the wet food.

6. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

7. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Maybe try her on a grain free dry food such as Orijen. :)

8. Shimacat

Shimacat PetForums Member

Wet food is bulkier than dry, and eating wet means the cat will feel 'fuller' quicker. If you have a cat prone to bolting food then throwing up, I'd not feed dry - I'd feed wet, and in small amounts, repeated until she's had a meal's worth. You could also try her on simple boiled bhicken with a bit of rice for a day to settle her stomach, then gradually mix wet food in with the chicken.

9. dem7

dem7 PetForums Newbie

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. I'll look into the suggestions. :D

10. dem7

dem7 PetForums Newbie

Just caught that last post, really good info. Can I try the mushy food as a way to settle her stomach?

11. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I soak my dry food in hot water approx 30 mins before feeding. The kibbles swell right up and go very soft. This helps to discourage over-eating the dry because the food has 'pre-swollen' and doesn't do it in their tummies and make them sick.

I also put in extra water so they get more of a soup put down to them - this ensures they have a satisfactory fluid intake.

Orijin comes highly recommended due to it's high meat / low carb (grain) content. I will be swapping to this in the near future & plan to do as above but with some wet Smilla mixed in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice