Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cats pregnant, what do i do? please please help.

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by jen24, Aug 18, 2009.

1. jen24

jen24 Banned

Hiya,

We have a 1 and half year old cat, we were told by her previous owners that she was already spayed. i never asked to see paperwork, stupid i know but i assumed they were telling the truth. anyway, she clearly isnt spayed cause she is heavily pregnant. i noticed about 2 days ago that she was getting podgy but she had just finished eating so i didnt think anything of it. but now she has balloned in size and wants constant cuddles. shes resting alot and eating alot. all of her nipples are visible now.

ive rung the vet and got her booked in to be spayed but he wont do it till the babies are born as he says she sounds close to having them.

how do i make her comfortable? i gave her a box under the stairs with blankets in and her bowl of water ect but she wont go in it, she keeps following me around. doesnt she need to be resting or something?

will she know what to do? do i have to do anything?

we never planned her having kittens, we would have got her spayed if wed known she wasnt already done. i can assure you all though that if these kittens survive, we will look after them and if need be find them homes ourselves. i just cant believe it, i dont want her to die or anything from a stupid lie we were told.

help?!!

2. jen24

jen24 Banned

Anyone? please, i want to make sure she'll be ok.

3. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Firstly, I would get the vet to check her over. They may be able to help you with the due date.

Read everything you can find about cat labour and birth. There are lots of good articals on the web about kittening, I'll add some links, and people here are very helpful and supportive.

I'm sure that you are in shock but try to stay calm :)

Pregnancy in Cats - Symptoms of Pregnancy & Care of the Pregnant Queen

Birth (parturition) in Cats - Signs of labour & the birth process.

Labour & Birth

Care of a Pregnant Cat - Helping With Birth - Cat Reproduction 101 Lesson 8

The Stages of Feline Labor - When Your Cat Gives Birth

Good luck! x

4. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Ok firstly dont panic!...cats are pregnant for 9 weeks aprox..she does sound like she is due soon..

OK, let her do what she wants to do..your worried that she isnt resting and keeps following you...she prob just wants to know you are there...They will follow you around before the birth...as for the box..if she doesnt want to go in there, then dont force her..when the time comes hopefully she will go in there herself...but sometimes they choose to have them im other dark, quiet places...so close all cupboards, drawers etc..

Place a couple of boxes in areas you would like her to give birth, put newspaper in there, as they do like to scratch it up to make the nest!

She will start crying as labour begins but she should do everything herself...but you must be with her all the way incase there are any complications i.e, kittens gets stuck, you may have to help it out, cutting of the cord etc etc...

She should eat the placenta but this isnt always the case...so just throw it away!. :smilewinkgrin:

5. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

My lovley little girl and kitties 4 days ago, she didn't go into any of the boxes that i gave her and she didn't know what she wanted. The night she decided to go into labour she came and found me and went into the birthing box, she will tell you if she needs you and don't worry. If you have any questions just log on andwrite someone will have an answer. keep us updated

ruth
    xx

6. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

First of all like all ther others have said please don't panic I know that is easy for us to say as we all knew our girls were having kittens. :eek:

Nature had a very cool way of letting it take its course(as the saying goes):smilewinkgrin:

She will let you know when she is uncomfortable/going into labour. Are you at home all day??

Twinkles nips "Pinked up" when she was three weeks gone, but as you didn't know I don't suppose you were looking at them lol. :blush2:

If she is showing I would prob gestimate you will have 2/3 weeks to go...but that is only a guess.

Good luck hun and if you have any other questions or need help somebody is always on, I have found this site so welcomming and informative. :smilewinkgrin:

7. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i agree please try not to stress yourself too much cats are very good at looking after things theirselves most of the time and if you have any.. save the stressing for nearer the time when she is in labour he he i dont think there are many of us that dont worry about our girls at that stage. i am sure we would all love to see pics of your girl (or should i say more pics if that is her in your sig). I would recommend giving her kitten food from now on if you can to give her extra nutrients

8. jen24

jen24 Banned

thank you everyone,

well shes now laying at my feet having a snooze so she seems ok. im a stay at home mum so im always here. plus im eight months pregnant so i dont go far from home at the moment!!!:smilewinkgrin:

ive scattered a couple of box's around incase she decides she wants one. i guess its just a waiting game now then.

i'll keep you all posted. thank you again.:D

9. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

oh geez you have your hands full. congratulations to you as well xx

10. jen24

jen24 Banned

thank you hun, this baby will be my third child. i wasnt expecting to have kittens to look after as well!!lol

xx

11. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

ha ha 3 kids.. your brave, i have 2 and thats more than enough.. give me more kittens any day he he

12. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

My cat is 8 weeks pregnant.

I would go vet just for them to guestimate for you. She does sound very close though. My cat has boxes everywhere but still hasnt chosen one. So wouldnt worry about that, I think once they are all over you that makes them close, and being vocal.

First thing to do is get her on kitten food and apart from reading up on here, its a waiting game.

good luck! The girls here are all great, so you have come to the right place!

13. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

Congrats on your impending arrival Jen(Baby not Kittens, well kittens as well lol)
    Are you using a litter tray for mum to be.....If yes( I am sure I am right on this but somebody may be able to back me up on this one) YOU as a pregnant women must not go near or clean any litter trays. Not being bossy just please be careful.
    Take care hun.

14. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

I was in much the same situation as you, I got Tilda from the RSPCA tho! She has brain damage and did everything herself, cats just have an instinct for it. She tried to give birth on my new sofa, then my living room carpet but settled for her bed when she knew I wasnt having any of that!

Dont panic, I'm sure you will both be fine

xx

15. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't bother going to the vet, all they can tell you is that the cat is pregnant, unless she's due to kitten more or less immediately, they don't seem to be able to distinguish between 5 weeks and 9 weeks as far as I can see. Save your money for when the kittens are born!

Honestly the great majority of cats, particularly moggies, kitten very easily and everythign is perfectly straightforward, so don't panic. You will have be having a fun time, won't you!

Liz

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice