Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Cats Need To Put On Weight

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by My2CatsAreMyLife, Sep 25, 2013.

1. My2CatsAreMyLife

My2CatsAreMyLife PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and can see there's a lot of valuable information and knowledgeable people here so I'm asking my question.

For several months we have been trying to put weight on our two cats. I feel that as both our cats are "underweight" it is a food thing rather than a health thing... they are 14 years and so senior cats.

We've changed from a mix of whiskas and go-cat which they had for years to Royal Canin Stage 2 High Cal but they don't like it and won't eat it. They don't eat human food as it always makes one of them sick (I think it's too rich).

So my question is does anyone have any tried and tested suggestions as i'm a bit of loss when I look at all the different options on the shelves. :eek:

Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

Hi..how much do they weigh and has the vet said they are under weight?

3. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

I would try a different shelf. I suggest you pick up a bag of very fresh diced pork shoulder from the supermarket. A 500g bag will cost about £3 so no great loss if the experiment fails. Cut some of the chunks in half, warm to room temp with hot (not boiling) water and see if they will go for them. They are quite old and may not have the jaw strength given their past diet but it is worth a try. It's a great cut of meat for weight gain, nutritionally dense, cheap and easily digestible. If it works, you need to figure out how to supplement but you could just see if they like the taste first.

4. Raggiemum71

Raggiemum71 PetForums Member

My kitten is really skinny and the vet says he is rather skinny/underweight and needs to put some weight on. He has a good appetite and has been wormed so I'm now thinking health related, but then I always think of the worst. I am hoping mine is just a small kitten that will get fatter as he gets older. I hope we are both successful at getting our kitties to put weight on.:thumbup1:

5. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

What do you currently feed him,mine are fed on Royal Canin and whiskas simply kitten pouch ,and I let them eat as much as they want
    I know some will say its not the best, but they do well on it,and like their food

RE; the oldere cats they usually do lose a bit of weight when they are getting older, so maybe its just nature taking its course

6. My2CatsAreMyLife

Hi Jaycee05 / Nicolaa123 - yep the vet is the one that says they're underweight however after doing a bit of research I'm not completely convinced...

Cleo has been tiny all her life (she was the smallest of her litter) she's 2.75kg and Jasper is 3.6kg but is a significantly bigger cat. surely cats are like people there must be different ideal weights for different body types if you get my drift :rolleyes: but the vets not really addressed that question very well.

I have tried the Stage 2 High Cal Royal Canin food and they just won't eat it. but maybe I should put some tasty calorie rich kitten food in too and maybe fool them into trying it

Thanks for the tip Satori ... I have to be honest I didn't think cats could eat pork. but I might give that a go. I can make the bits quite small and easy to chew / digest maybe.

xx

7. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Mine love it. I have them on chicken thigh, lamb neck, pork leg, pork shoulder and as treats, quail, pheasant or duck. I can't get rabbit where I live. Pork shoulder is consistently their favorite. It is too fatty to feed at every meal so I alternate with the leaner chicken cuts or just feed pork leg. But for your purposes, shoulder would be ideal. Yes, you could cut it up really small, I would just advise not to buy it already in very small pieces nor to buy pork mince. Much better to chop it yourself.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with Satori, give the raw pork chunks a try and see if they like it. :)

If not, then there are are much better quality processed foods than Royal Canin, which they are not eating anyway :). You may need to feed them a little Whiskas whilst you slowly make the transition on to better quality foods. It is not good to change cats' diets suddenly as it can cause tummy upsets, or just straightforward refusal to eat.

I would avoid Gocat completely however, as it is regarded even by vets, as being one of the worst cat foods on the market, nutritionally speaking. I would stick to wet food anyway as they are senior cats. It is important to ensure they're getting enough fluids in their diet and the best way to achieve this is by feeding a wet food (or raw diet) with a little water added to their food.

Whiskas is no worse than most similar supermarket foods, and will be OK to give them temporarily. As long as they have no kidney disease as far as you are aware, then it is fine to feed them a high protein diet. e.g. try HiLife Poultry flavours, or Natures Menu - from Pets@Home, and HiLife can also be bought at some supermarkets (Tesco & Morrison etc).

If you're willing to do as many of us PF'ers do, and order on line, there is good quality canned food to be had at reasonable prices, on Zooplus and The Happy Kitty Company. Have a look at Animonda Carny, Bozita, Grau and CatzFineFood on Zooplus, and Macs and OmNomNom on The Happy Kitty co.

A better quality wet food diet will pack on muscle rather than just fat.:)

To introduce a new food, put a flat tablespoon of it alongside (not mixed in) on the same plate as the Whiskas they are used to eating. They may not touch the new food (but just eat the Whiskas) it in which case you just throw away the uneaten food after it's been out a few hrs.

Try again for the next meal, same method, and continue for 3 more days. If they still don't touch the new food, then I'd say they never will eat that particular food and it is time to abandon that one, and move on the next food you want to try them with, using the same method of introduction. You should find at least one new food that meets with their approval soon. Ideally it's best to find several foods they like so you can feed them in rotation. This covers all bases nutritionally and stops them getting bored with the same food, as well as giving you a safety net if one of the foods is discontinued in the future.

#8 chillminx, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  9. My2CatsAreMyLife

thank you so much... will definitely give the pork a go and I like the rotational eating (to avoid pickiness ... we all get bored eating the same things again and again) and I like the trying it next to the whiskas...
    i'm very grateful
    xx
    :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice