Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cats hate the floors in my new flat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Phteven79, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Phteven79

Phteven79 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

I'm having the strangest problem with my two boys and it's driving me crazy. I moved in Sept this year, about 6 weeks ago to a bigger flat. My boys are nearly 6 years old. Brothers from the same litter.

The move itself was a massive trauma for them. I had no idea how bad it could be for cats as I've never owned them before and never moved since I had them.

One last thing is standing in the way of them truly settling in. This flat was never decorated or had any flooring put down by the previous occupant. It's just bare tile. They've had this before for a couple of years in my previous flat and it wasn't a problem. The previous occupant also had a cat, a female that was pregnant and gave birth to still borns before she swapped flats with me. The previous occupant also had a questionable level of hygiene and cleanliness (that's being polite about it.) What's happening is my boys despise spending time on the floor of any room except the hall. One is far worse than the other. He'll occasionally come up to the living room doorway. Evaluate it as if he needs to cross a river full of crocodiles and then bound and leap as fast as he can to the couch to get to me. His brother is slightly less dramatic about it and will spend time on the floor if I put treats in his dreamie mouse to play with. Otherwise he will only spend as much time on the floor to travel as is absolutely necessary. Pretty much the same in both bedrooms although one of the bedrooms is where I've been keeping their food, water and litter trays and even then they only stay on the floor long enough to eat and drink.

Clearly they can sense or smell something to do with the other cat. I've tried steam cleaning and that hasn't helped. I'm wondering if there's anything I can try to treat the floors with to help mask or remove whatever it is they can't seem to stand. I'm worried that when I get flooring put in soon they'll still be able to sense or smell whatever it is and I'll be stuck somewhere with unhappy cats that aren't exercising enough.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Phteven79 and welcome :)

It could be there is the scent of the other cat still around. Perhaps there are urine stains on the floor. It is hard to get rid of the smell of urine without using an enzyme cleaner. So I'd mop the floor with a enzyme solution in warm (not hot) water.

There are various enzyme pet odour removers on the market, (e.g. UrineOff and Simple Solution) but some have a nasty synthetic smell and some are not very effective. :(

The best I have found is Bio Tex Stain Remover. It's excellent
    at removing odours and has a pleasant scent. Some supermarkets sell it or Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bio-Tex-St...e=UTF8&qid=1477943362&sr=1-4&keywords=bio+tex

Torin., Lurcherlad and Phteven79 like this.
  3. Phteven79

Phteven79 PetForums Newbie

Really? D'ya know using something like that would never have crossed my mind! I'll give it a go thanks!

I do have a couple of bottles of Urine Off. I used to use it neat in my old flat in the small room where I kept the litter trays. It was up until now the best thing I've come across for removing their smell from my limited human nostrils. Whether or not it's good enough to do away with another cat's smell to make my cats happier is another story. I'll be getting the Bio Tex either way, I need to go all out before I have any flooring put down.

ZoeM and chillminx like this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Put rugs down for them. Throw rugs in strategic places so they don't have to walk on the floor. Put their food up on a low table so they don't have to crouch on the floor to eat. Provide elevated spaces for them to hang out in.

My cats can actually go through the whole apartment without ever touching the floor if they want to.

Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice