Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Cats gone was it a fox?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by bambi6995, Jul 2, 2018.

1. bambi6995

bambi6995 PetForums Newbie

My beloved cat went missing 11 days ago today. He was my best friend and used to follow me around the house. He was super friendly and we used to joke he was everyone's best friend. He lived with his two brothers Lenny and Frank. That night he went missing he had woken up around 8.30pm from a nap next to me and gone out. Normally I get him in every night but over the past two nights he was being stubborn and didnt want to come in. I stupidly left him out thinking he would be ok. The next morning his brothers were waiting for there breakfast but Prince was no where to be seen. My heart sunk as this was so out of character for him and he has never missed a meal before.
    I have put posters up, knocked on doors contacted local websites. I've put the Hoover contents in the garden and an old litter. We have checked all around path ways and bushes and he has just disappeared. I've walked miles day and night to try and find him.
    A lady saw one of my leaflets and rang the next evening to say maybe it was a fox. I was obviously devastated to hear this. The next morning I want out to the check the garden and found a few tuffs of fur in the garden.... it could of been his fur but it could of easily been his brothers. I am so sad and feel so devastated that I did not try harder to get him home that evening. I just can't help feeling that it was a fox and now have to live with that thought. Everyone tells me foxes don't go for cats but what other explanation could there be.

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

How old is your boy? Please don't assume it was a fox just because your neighbour has put the idea in your head. Foxes are everywhere and they don't generally attack cats. The fact you found some fur could be just he was grooming, he had a scrap with another cat or it could belong to his brothers as you say. Lots of cats are wandering at the moment because of the warm weather. There are 2-3 around my area who have returned home after being missing about 3-4 weeks. Have you contacted local vets, rescue centres etc? Check if your local Cats Protection has a lost/found section on their website. Have you asked people to check sheds and outbuildings to see if he might have got locked inside?

3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@bambi6995
    I agree with @Charity my cat is shedding a lot at the moment, hair does not have to mean an attack.

4. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

CDDB1E07-6F76-441D-805B-5D592CDC4144.jpeg Hi and welcome. I agree with Charity and Summercat. I used to feed a few cats that had been left behind when our estate was regenerated. We also have foxes. But they got along with each other. The foxes would wait for the cats to finish then finish off what they left. I managed to get all but 1 into rescue and he went to a neighbour. He was old and we thought he wouldn’t do well in rescue. Unfortunately he passed away 3 months after going into my neighbours house. But I loved and cared for him since 2009 I bought kennels and put them on my doorstep so they had somewhere warm and dry to go. I still put food out for a trap neuter return. I think your best bet is to contact all rescues and vets in your area. Knock on people’s doors in case he has got shut in a garage or shed. Check with the council road sweepers in case something has happened. I hope you find your fellow soon.

Viv xx

5. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

What made her think and say that? Did she (possibly) see something that put this idea into her head? Most fit, adult cats are a fair match for a fox.

#5 Calvine, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Agree with the other posters,its unlikely a fox would think of attacking a cat .
    I have foxes living in/around my garden and have never had a problem with them attacking cats , in fact they have a healthy respect for them .

7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I'm sorry your beloved Prince has gone missing. Don't give up hope, keep searching and calling especially early morning and later at night when it's quieter and you're more likely to hear him if he answers/he can hear you.
    I agree with the previous posters about his fur. I doubt the Fox explanation.

How old is Prince, and has he been castrated?

Summercat and vivien like this.
  8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Another thought: the hair in the garden could possibly be an encounter with a neighbour's cat. I used to have a garden full of hair with one particular cat I had at the time.

Summercat and ewelsh like this.
  9. bambi6995

Hi All, Thank you for your positive replies. Prince is neutered and chipped, he is five years old in good health except for a few teeth that he has to have removed a few years ago. He was also diagnosed with a heart murmur and slight HCM last year although he vet said he was still in really good health and he could certainly give his brother a run around the garden at times. I
    I'm not sure why I'm so set on the fox theory I completely agree that they live among each other and are used to one another. The lady that rang me has only lived in the area for a month she didn't have great English, she mentioned that her daughter used to play with him. I placed a camera in the garden with a safe house for prince and I have spotted a few foxes in the garden.
    I have asked neighbours to check sheds garages and gardens twice. I've also put 300 flyers through the door. I've also contacted all the cat support groups like animal search, cats protection and dog lost, also a few local lost and found groups on social media. I am so heart broken without him, Prince is my world and I always looked forward to spending quality time with him. Thank you so much for your support and replies.

Calvine and Summercat like this.
  10. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Foxes avoid fights with healthy cats as the cat will likely wound the fox - this could prove fatal to the fox from infection. Foxes actually tend to eat a lot of worms as well, of course, foraging in bins for leftovers.
    Its possible Prince had a run in with another cat and ran away from it - and then ended up lost. Dont give up hope yet.

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

<deleted>

12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@bambi6995: well, don't give up hope. We have had some epic ''Missing Cat'' sagas on PF. Mine was out for five months and not even 100 yards from home. I had another gone for five days. Then there was Belgy67 and Krystal*85 , both of whom had cats missing for five/six months. And many others!! Great news that he has a microchip too.
    I wish you luck.

bambi6995 likes this.
  13. Charity

We had two missing cats on this forum returned home last week after some days missing, so, as things come in three's, lets hope Prince will be the 3rd. :)

Calvine and AmsMam like this.
  14. bambi6995

Thanks charity and Calvine i feel much more positive after reading these posts. Just about to get some more ink so I can print lots more posters and widen the search! I'm hoping he's just ran away after a fight and an old lady is feeding him somewhere.

15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I do recall having to replenish the ink cartridges in my printer and thinking how expensive they were (even the imitation Canon ones).:Cat

16. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

11 days isn't long. Cats can disappear for weeks especially at this time of year. I doubt that a fox attacked him. I used to live where a lot of foxes hung out but they never attacked cats. Keep us updated.

17. bambi6995

I replace the ink cartridges and then they only seem to print 45 posters. I've just realised it's cheaper to get a company to print for you though. So I have 1000 leaflets coming tomorrow

Calvine likes this.
  18. bambi6995

I did hope so Miss Milo it's just so unlike him to do this when hes normally by my side. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since I last saw him and I'm absolutely dreading it. Feel like I've looked everywhere for him. I have 1000 leaflets coming tomorrow so everyone will know he's missing. The only positive is how lovely my neighbours have been, literally stopping me in the street and asking if I'm the missing cat lady. Give me hope that they are seeing the flyers and posters. X

MissMiloKitty likes this.
  19. Charity

I'm sure he will be found soon or just come walking back in.

20. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

The problem with this time of year is that there are so many resources available to cats so they don't need to go home if they don't feel so inclined. Apart from abundance of live prey, people have doors and windows open and enjoy their gardens so it's easy for a clever cat to sneak in and polish off the food left for Tiddles or Fido or to persuade a relaxing human to give them the tuna from their salad, some burger or to bring out a bowl of cat food.

Resting outdoors is also pleasant especially with the hot temps we have been having. Chilling deep in the undergrowth is much cooler than anywhere else.

I have had two wanderers. In weather like this my girls would happily go off for weeks at a time if she could. She was always happy to see me and would follow me home if I came looking for her and found her but the lure of hot sunny day with shady spots and grass and undergrowth full of baby mice and rabbits was too tempting to remember to come back for. I knew where she hung out (about half a mile away in a rural landscape with no roads or other hazards en route) so when I went to see her with a gift of cat food she would happily walk back home with me and stay a while. Had I not fetched her she would have stayed away for weeks if she could. Even the most home loving cat still has the wild inside them so this time of year as others have said they can tend to wander and stay away. Often they are very close. Hopefully someone will spot him soon.

When I used a g-paws GPS tracker on my cat I discovered she did 30 min to 1 hour circles if her territory and always popped home for a while when all was quiet. Strangely these returns home were always when I was fast asleep or out (just coincidence) so we kept missing each other. So chances are your kitty is very close by. Good luck in finding him.

#20 kittih, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    NFC slave, Summercat and AmsMam like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice