Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cats are literally terrified...

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Weeze, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Weeze

Weeze PetForums Newbie

...of any one else that comes into the house.

Its been just me and them since I got them at 8 weeks in november, three little bundles of kitten-ness. Since then they have been getting more and more nervous of other people when they come in to my house to the point where they all run down the stairs and across the living room floor flat as pancakes and then out and I won't see them until the next day.

Does anyone else have this problem and is there anything I can do to help them? It started off with just one of them but now they just seem to copy each other...

Any advice would be great
    Thanks

Louise

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Literally terrified as a opposed to terrified? Sorry. The use of that word is a pet hate.

Maybe you should perhaps ask a friend to visit with treats? They then can associate strangers with good things. Increase the amount of visitors coming through the door (artificially, of course) so they get used to it.

3. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

I have to say it is strange that they are becoming more nervous. Usually kittens settle in very well to homes :confused:
    It could be that they are all following the one who is especially nervous of strangers. Were they rescues? Perhaps they came from an environment which gave them a nervous disposition :)
    One thing with kittens is that the more people who hold them and interact with them, the more their personalities develop and comfortable with humans they become.
    You could try getting friends to hold them for a while, feed them treats (as said above) so they are more used to human contact (from other humans :p)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice