Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

MY CAT SIMPLY DOESN'T WANT TO EAT

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tyrion and Phoebe, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Tyrion and Phoebe

Tyrion and Phoebe PetForums Newbie

Hi, my name is Ana and this is my first threat. I am writing out of sadness and desperation. I've got 3 cats, 2 girls and a boy. All of them are sterilised, living indoor with some visits to the garden. Every year the boy (Tyrion) around March stops eating. Like STOPS! I feed my cats exclusively wet/canned food (Granatapet an Catzfinefood and raw turkey/chicken with raw egg). To say Tyrion is a fussy eater is an understatement. I read all the tricks here and on the net but nothing helps. NOTHING. What doesn't help: switching food, adding fish oil, cooked food, raw food (that he loves in the winter), ... He is SO skinny giving the facts that at this very moment he hasn't eaten in 5 days. The only trick that has been working so far is to sprinkle some brewer's yeast on his canned food but he just leaks this and that's it. He is not sick, he is playful and normal except that he looks like a half the size he is in the winter (and he is not a big cat cos he doesn't eat a lot anyway :( ). I'm crying while typing this. I need your help cos I don't know what else to do. The vet knows his "fuzziness" but for her that's normal. For me, not eating for 5 days it's not cos he has no food in his system. Does anyone has any concrete advice of what to do? What to give him? I am so agains drugs but I feel I'm forced to give him some. Is there anything not very harmful on the market? THANK YOU so much in advance. ps: Sorry if there are some grammar mistakes but I'm not a native English speaker. pps: Lucy and Phoebe on the other hand would eat an elephant and still wanted more. :D

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

My only advice is this,if he has definitely not eaten for 5 days then he needs to be seen by a vet today as he is in great danger of becoming seriously ill.
    If your own vet doesn't see this as urgent then I would respectfully suggest you take him to a different one .
    Cats cant go without food for that length of time without causing damage to their organs.

Saffy Cat, chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I agree with @buffie, if he hasn't eaten at all then after a couple of days he should go to the vet, they could give him an appetite stimulant, if she doesn't offer it, ask for it. Its odd it happens every year at this time, is there anything which could be causing it? You do need a vet who is not going to think this is normal.

MaggieDemi and chillminx like this.
  4. Tyrion and Phoebe

@buffie @Charity Thank you! Exactly, I know is dangerous that's why I wrote here because I know he needs to eat. I live in a small town and we only have 3 vets and she is the best. I asked her for a appetite stimulant but the only thing she offered was Apaurin ( a sort of tranquilliser/sedative for people). She says that Apaurin (also) simulate the appetite but I dont feel good about giving him prescription drugs for people. Thank you so much @Charity for your support; I completely agree with "You do need a vet who is not going to think this is normal." but is just very hard to find one. Why this period? I don't know... maybe it has something to do with the period of heat of the females but there are no females in heat around us and he is castrated. This is the only logical explanation. I've been thinking about a appetite stimulant but I'm clueless in this topic so I hope someone will give me some advice. :) <3

5. MaggieDemi

MaggieDemi PetForums VIP

Have you de-wormed him?

6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I have used Mirtazapine as an appetite stimulant - but it is always because a cat is not feeling well enough to eat. It has the side effect of making them very hyperactive, even howling for food as tho' they have a hyperactive thyroid. You are the patient's owner, you are paying the bills and you need to get a bit pushy/proactive and tell her you want his symptoms checked out. I wish you well.

#6 Calvine, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  7. Tyrion and Phoebe

@MaggieDemi Hi :) Yes! @Calvine Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Mirtazapine. Been thinking about this option but Im a bit scared. Believe me, I ma very pushy, not shy and extremely outspoken. I spoke with the vet yesterday on the phone and in her opinion "well.. he is an anorexic cat. what can you do about it?" and she didn't say much more. Today I took him for a check in and he is fine meaning his blood tests are ok, his mood is ok, he is purring like always, sleeping on my stomach, ... he just doesn't want to eat like a normal cat. Today I gave him fresh turkey, nutritional yeast and raw egg and while I was preparing it he was going crazy like "Yes woman feed me! Feed me!! I want to eat like crazy" but when I gave him the plate.. well, he did eat a bit. I also ordered some high quality "recovery paste" without sugar and crapy ingredients that stimulate appetite. Im getting it tomorrow. Hope it will help. Thank you for your well wishes.

Calvine likes this.
  8. jessextremeone

I am dealing with another issue but steroids for a cat will help their hunger, also a tiny bit of spray canned cheese as a snack has been working for my cat!
    He is eating a lot more now.
    I hope everything turns out alright for you.

9. Tyrion and Phoebe

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice