Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

My cat keeps pooping next to the litter tray!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by LolaC, Jun 13, 2018.

1. LolaC

LolaC PetForums Newbie

Please help, my cat keeps pooping next to both of her litter trays.

She is a 10 month old ragdoll kitten (was spayed at 7 months) and has always struggled with the whole toilet situation.
    She always pees in the tray but has only occasionally pooped in the tray (often when we are not there) and has gotten worse recently. We have 2 trays as we thought it may be the location she doesn't like but she still goes next to both of them. We also tried different litters and keeping it as clean as possible, even a get-off spray on the floor and giving her treats when she does use it - none of which did anything :/

Any other suggestions?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @LolaC and welcome :)

Are the 2 trays situated in separate rooms? Many cats like to poo and pee in different trays, but the trays need to be well apart.

Are you providing open trays or covered trays? If they are both covered trays, switch one of them to a large open tray.

Which litter are you providing ? Cats like a fine grain litter a bit like dry sand in texture. And it must be clumping and non-dusty. Worlds Best Litter (a cereal based litter) attracts cats like a magnet. Cats Best Oko Plus is almost as popular. I would try a small bag of either or both those, only one tray at a time. Leave the other tray with the usual litter.

If she likes Cats Best or Worlds Best you can buy it much cheaper in large bags from Zooplus or Bitiba.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/cats_best/682944

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/worlds_best_cat_litter

Toiletting next to the tray can be a way of showing she is not happy with the type of litter tray or maybe the litter itself.

Or it could be because she is in discomfort when she toilets and is associating the litter trays with her pain.

Can you describe her poos - i.e. are they firm and formed, (not soft, not loose, and not hard and dry)? A cat with abnormal stools may avoid using the trays. This can apply to a cat with loose stools or the other extreme of constipation.

What do you feed your cat? A good quality wet food or balanced raw diet is best where there are bowel or bladder issues. No dry food should be fed at all, as it can cause chronic low level dehydration due to the cat not being able to drink enough water to hydrate the dry food. Additionally dry food can cause a soft bulky stool because of the high carbohydrate and fibre content (cereals, added sugars etc)

Is she your only cat? Only pet?

3. LolaC

LolaC PetForums Newbie

Hi, thank you so much for your reply!

Yes the trays are in seperate rooms, both are open but one is getting rather small so think larger ones would be a great idea.

We use a wood pellet litter (which has a tendency to disintegrate) but have actually just ordered some of the Cats Best litter so will definitely try that and the Worlds Best.

Hmm her poos are quite firm generally, often a lumpy sort of shape? We feed her wet food in the morning, a variety of Lily's Kitchen and Royal Canin, we have tried quite a few new brands recently as she began to leave a lot of her food behind. During the day we do give her dry food (mixture of Lily's Kitchen kitten food and Iams hairball control) we leave this out during the day and she eats when hungry - which we will change up as she gets older and eats less.

What sort of feeding schedule would you suggest?

Yes she is our only pet, and an indoor cat. Though we let her outside on nice days, she has been kind of cautious and mainly just runs back inside!

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi, at 10 months old I would be feeding her 4 times a day, and possibly a couple of snacks if she asked between meals. Kittens are growing so fast at that age they need lots of protein to build strong muscles, and fats for energy.

Dry food is very high in carbohydrates and grazing on dry food all day takes the edge off the appetite, which can spoil her enjoyment of her wet food.

I wouldn't give her dry food at all tbh, as she is having this soiling issue. If you are out in the daytime I would buy a timed autofeeder and leave two of her meals in that, say one around midday and one around 5 pm. Along with breakfast and supper, this would be her 4 meals a day.

I have been using the Cat Mate C20 autofeeder for the past 25 years (and it is still going strong! :)). It has two sections and 2 timers. There is also a more expensive model that has small ice packs that go underneath it to keep the food fresh. However the food I put in my C20 feeder has been in the fridge and by the time the cat comes to eat it, it is probably at the right temperature.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-C...-3&keywords=cat+mate+c20+automatic+pet+feeder

Lily's Kitchen wet food is a good food, Royal Canin wet not so much. But LK is rather expensive to feed every meal.

I would have a look at makes such as Natures Menu, Country Hunter, and HiLife The Chicken One from pet stores, or look online at Zooplus UK for canned foods such as Grau, Granatapet, Feringa, Macs, Catz Fine Food, Animonda Carny and Bozita. Some of these foods are suitable for all stages of development, so there is not a recipe specifically for kittens.

5. LolaC

LolaC PetForums Newbie

That all sounds brilliant thank you so much!

Yeah dry food isn't ideal but we didn't want to leave wet food out so the autofeeder sounds great, will definitely check that out. I'm home most of the day at the moment so will be able to keep on eye on how she's doing with the meals etc.

Very true, they are quite expensive so those brands sound much better.

Thanks again for all your help!

chillminx likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I hope with the changes she'll start using the trays every time.

Please let us know how things go. :)

LolaC likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice