Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat keeps going missing

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by supernanauna, May 13, 2010.

1. supernanauna

supernanauna PetForums Newbie

I have a lovely two year old cat which I got from the RSPCA six months ago.

She always stayed in at night until last week. Now she disappears and stays out all night - the strange thing is that she does it every second night - Saturday, Monday, Wednesday. She reappears in the morning but is not hungry or tired so I assume somebody is keeping her overnight and feeding her.

Can anybody else thing of another explanation?

This one has me stumped!

2. malibu

malibu Guest

I would agree with you, maybe try following her one night and see where she goes *that may not be pratical though ;)*

3. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Maybe keep her in at night, she is safer inside anyway. :)

4. Jessycat

Jessycat PetForums Junior

my cat cept on geating fater and fater and at home was not hungry so i asked a frend and she tolled me to put a note on some papper saying this cat has a owner so do not feed her and put it on her coler

:thumbup:Jessycat

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Thank you for adopting an adult cat! You're a hero!

Is she spayed?

My advice is to keep her inside, and/or build an outdoor enclosure for her, or harness train her and bring her outside for supervised only outings. :)

6. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

If she is a rescue cat she will be spayed but you may need to double check that with the rescue and your vet.

Keep her in at night, if you can, but many cats who have had access to outside don't like being kept in - you have to risk assess the situation that you are in.

7. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

Could you put a collar on her? Doesn't have to say or have anything on it but it will make her look owned - if she already has one then maybe changing it could help. Sometimes people think a cat's a stray even if it's wearing a collar:(.

8. supernanauna

supernanauna PetForums Newbie

Re collars - I've bought her three collars and all have disappeared - one within 24 hours! The collars have a quick release safety catch but I think when she scratches her ear with her back leg she's catching the collar with her foot and it just flies off.

I'm tempted to buy one of the old-fashioned collars with a buckle, though I'd be afraid she'd end up hanging herself from a tree.

I can't keep her inside at night because sometimes she's gone by 4 or 5 pm and doesn't come back.

I wonder if she goes into somebody's house through their cat flap and then they lock the cat flap to keep their cat in for the night, not realising my cat is there. It's the only explanation I can think of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice