My cat keeps darting out into the street to roll around on a patch of dust... I dont know why

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by TodoMM, Jul 14, 2017.

1. TodoMM

TodoMM PetForums Newbie

This is very unusual of her, since she's usually extremely street-shy. On our old house she wouldnt go out past the fence even though she could just because she's scared of the cars, strangers, dogs, etc. The most she'd go out was to nibble a patch of grass at our entrance or walking as far as our neighboring home nextdoor, but no more than that.

Now every time we open the door she'll run out in front of the construction site (theyre building a plain ol house) next door and start rolling on the dust thats in front of that fence (thankfully she doesn't seem interested in anything that's going on inside). She won't come when we call her, so we end up having to pick her up, her fur pale with dust, and she'll start getting hissy when she notices we're taking her inside.

There's only sandy dust and a couple of grassy patches there. I'd like to know if anyone knows the reason for her behaviour and if there's a way to discourage it-- I'd rather not have to go downstairs nearly every time someone opens the door just to grab my cat. : p

#1 TodoMM, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

How old is your cat and is she spayed? If she is not yet spayed her behaviour could be linked to that.

Her behaviour doesn't sound safe, as I assume there is traffic passing on the road, including the vehicles used by the construction workers. If you have a back garden can you consider fencing it in with cat proof fencing so she can go out but be restricted to the garden?

jill3 likes this.
  3. Mirandashell

Mirandashell PetForums VIP

Have you checked her for fleas?

4. TodoMM

TodoMM PetForums Newbie

@chillminx She's 2 1/2 years old and she is spayed. I dont think I've seen any big vehicles passing by next door, but maybe I'm just not really paying much mind to it or theyre passing through behind the houses (where the road is wider). We do have a back garden, and she does go back there whenever she wants to-- it has walls tall enough so she can't climb or jump up, and the passageways leading to the front are always closed off by doors. Despite this she still likes going out to the shallow scoop of dust outside whenever she gets the chance : p

@Mirandashell She doesn't have flees

5. TodoMM

TodoMM PetForums Newbie

She did it again just now when they were about to take out the dog. Hell, she tried going a little farther today-- ran to the road in front of ours. Still got a fur full of dust (We're gonna have to bathe her soon...). She got very skittish then too, I noticed, because when I crunched on some leaves she tried to dart away. I'm thinking maybe she's just getting more curious of the outdoors? I wouldnt want her to wander too far, there's strays not far off that I wouldnt want her to encounter...

6. TodoMM

TodoMM PetForums Newbie

It's still a thing.. If anyone has any ideas of how to dissuade her? ? ;-;

My mom told me that she came across some stray cat at some point and she was terrified out of her skin, doing a high pitch "miiiwww"/yowl at it. Thankfully that stray wasn't interested at all and just walked away, but this was a couple days ago and it didn't seem to discourage her from walking around. And what if it had been aggresive?... She's housecat through and through, so I'm really worried that something will happen to her because she doesn't know the street at all... thankfully cars don't frequent our road too much, but anything could happen

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I'm sorry I don't know how you can stop her rolling in the dust other than by preventing her getting out to the road. Can you not restrict her to the garden? Didn't you say there is a high wall round your garden, which she can't climb? If so, your garden is cat proofed.

One of my girls likes rolling in the dust in my garden sometimes when the weather has been dry. She has a lot of white in her coat and it gets filthy! :( Fortunately it does brush out and she cleans herself up industriously too.

8. TodoMM

TodoMM PetForums Newbie

@chillminx The back yard has the walls-- in front it doesnt, so as soon as the house door opens up front it's open to the road. We try to prevent her from going out, but she'll take every little opportunity-- just now my dad got home and she lept over his feet and ran out :/

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Maybe you have to keep her shut in a back room so she can't get into the hall and run out front when the door is open. Or have an enclosed porch built if that is an option. It is what I have done to prevent my cats running out when I come in.

jill3 likes this.
  10. TodoMM

TodoMM PetForums Newbie

@chillminx We could probably put her in the kitchen if we're going to have the door open for long periods of time, though not when it's just someone coming in and out-- it's something though ;w;
    And we might have a gate built up the front, but it might be a few months before we're able to get to that.. it'll probably help a lot tbh. Thanks ^^''

chillminx likes this.