Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat keeps chasing my other cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Shelley McNaught, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Shelley McNaught

Shelley McNaught PetForums Newbie

hey everyone, first time post here!
    So I have 2 cats. A lovely big 2 year old Tom called Earl and a wee cheeky 1 year old rescue girl Syd. They got on well to start with, introduced them gradually and so on. Now 4 months later Earl seems to be quite scared of Syd. He sometimes growls and hisses when she goes near him and runs away. Other times they have a wee play and get on. He used to dominate her a bit when we first got her. They never fight, it never seems as though she's being aggressive and sometimes seems like he's just grumpy and can't be bothered with her but it seems to be getting worse. Her claws are very sharp, a lot sharper than his, could that be a factor? When they play he's just getting hurt more than her? I've had a few cats in my time and her claws are the sharpest I've known! They still have times they get on fine. They boop noses and she tries to groom him, sometimes he'll play and chase her but then she chases him back and he hisses and gets all grumpy.
    They have a litter tray each but both use the same one, they don't fight over food. He's always the first to get to his bowl when the food goes out so no fighting over food or beds or anything.
    I'm just worries the boy is constantly stressed just now.
    They have been spayed and neutered. It's probably something silly that I've just not picked up on!

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Hard to tell where playing ends and stress starts...
    If you get the feeling he is stressed he most probably is. Is it possible to give Earl a room for himself where Syd can’t enter? You could put a chip reading flap into the door that only allows Earl in. Then he has the chance to get away from her when she gets too much for him.

By the way- photos are compulsory and not just an option... ;)

Shelley McNaught likes this.
  3. Shelley McNaught

I'll add a couple!
    Its a strange one, he runs away but always comes back straight away, he doesn't run away to hide. He'll usually go under a chair and has a hiss and bats at her then she goes away but he's never ran away and tried to hide somewhere (like he does when someone knocks the door!) He just wanders back out from where he is again after a minute or 2.

Attached Files:

MaineCoonCats0, Jaf and chillminx like this.
  4. Shelley McNaught

I added one where they are together to show that he doesn't 100% hate her
    If I thought he was trying to hide from her but can't get away I would definitely try the cat flap on a room idea. He sometimes jumps on her back and bites her neck and she does it to him too. I know this is a dominance sign? Not sure who's dominating who though if they both do it

5. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

That sounds more like play fighting than anything serious and Earl doesn’t really sound too stressed, either. I guess you can just leave them go it and keep an eye on the situation.

Both are absolutely gorgeous!

6. Shelley McNaught

thank you! I just love them
    Yours is lovely too, I had a wee tabby before we got Earl, she was a smasher lol

ChaosCat likes this.
  7. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Thank you- but actually Bonny, the tabby in my avatar, has been dead for over a year, her black and white sister is left with me.
    I just can’t bring myself to change the avatar.

8. Shelley McNaught

Aww so sorry to hear that, thats a lovely touch keeping the avatar xx

ChaosCat likes this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Shelley McNaught -

Your cats are beautiful! And I adore ginger cats! xx

Cats are very protective of their resources (e.g. food, water, litter trays, beds, scratch posts, toys, resting spots, attention from their owner). When you introduce a new cat to a resident cat it is important to increase considerably all the feline resources in the home so that the original cat does not feel his resources are being threatened by the invasion of the newcomer. This way competition between the older cat and the new cat is reduced.

So, for 2 cats three litter trays are the minimum, but I always provide 4 trays for 2 cats, to reduce the competition. Cats in a multicat household don't have their "own" trays, they share trays and are Ok to do this as long as their perception is there are sufficient litter tray resources.

The trays should be spread around the house, making separate toilet areas.

Water bowls - a number of these spread around the house.

Food - separate feeding spots out of sight of each other. Give Earl his regular spot, so he doesn't feel aggrieved he has lost his special place. Find another spot for Syd - a separate room is ideal, or perhaps the hall. I feed one of my cats on the stairs, another cat on his own eating shelf in the kitchen, another one on the floor the other side of the kitchen.(about 10 ft away) Cats are solitary hunters and most are uncomfortable eating their meals alongside cats they have not grown up with.

Don't allow bowl sharing. If you can manage to buy them each their own Surefeeder microchipped feeder, (in addition to giving them their own feeding spots) so much the better. (cheapest price from Argos, Fetch or Amazon) if 2 feeders are a stretch then just get one for Earl. He needs to feel his food resources are safe from Syd.

Scratch posts and scratch pads - several to every room. [Locate one near the entrance of each room. ]

Cat beds (if they use them) - provide about 6 spread around the house so the cats can swap around where they sleep (as cats like to do).

High up resting places - valued by most cats. e.g. tall cat trees or shelves fitted up a wall making steps up to the top of a tall cupboard, with a fleece on top for comfort.

Cardboard boxes as hidey-holes in corners or behind furniture.

If Earl has had special privileges such as e.g. being allowed to sleep on your bed at night, these should be respected and protected for him and Syd should be settled in a room of her own at night (e.g. the living room). If Earl eventually allows Syd to share your bed with him that's fine, but it needs to be his choice, not Syd's or yours. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice