Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat isn’t eating after pelvic trauma

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jbell0058, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Jbell0058

Jbell0058 PetForums Newbie

my cat got hit on Saturday night, he has been hospitalised and he is recovering slowly. Vets updated me he hadn’t ate yesterday or today.
    I’m extremely worried, does anyone have any predicaments?

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Has he been put on a drip? He should by now if he hasn't eaten. Did the vet say what the extent of his injuries are? He must be in a state of shock following his accident, but he should be in the right place to get the best treatment. I hope he will be feeling much better soon xx

3. Jbell0058

I don’t think he has been put on a drip to help eat. The results we got on wednesday showed 4 fractures in his pelvic bone. However the vet said they could heal, just that one of the fractures had damaged his nerves and his ability to go to the toilet. The vet said she has little hope for ollie recovering, however we don’t want to let go of the hope. The vet said it takes up to one week to show signs of nerve heal, he is on a urine drip. I’m so worried and I can’t process if the end result was euthanasia I would be heartbroken.

4. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Please don't give up hope. It can take a lot longer than 1 week for the nerve damage to heal, but it can still happen, even several weeks later. We have many similar stories on here where cats have recovered from this. Some cats find that hydrotherapy might help them to regain their feelings in their nerves, but in the meantime it is important to learn how to express their bladder to enable them to pee. Even my cat needed that once from his vet, because he had an operation that caused inflammation and stopped him peeing naturally. Please keep trying to help him and if this vet seems hopeless, maybe look for a second opinion elsewhere from a different vet.

5. Jbell0058

I know never damage can show signs of recovery but it’s expensive to keep ollie there, it’s £200 a night and to keep him there till Sunday is a stretch financially. We weren’t expecting this bill. We will cover it but to keep ollie there for weeks it would be much too expensive. However i will update you with what the vet says today, she will ring and make an update.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice