Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat is sick

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Sumyam, May 30, 2019.

1. Sumyam

Sumyam PetForums Newbie

Hello everybody,

This is my cat. For a few months now she has redness in the corner of her eye. It has not gone and she keeps on licking some sort of goo off her eye but it comes back, I feel like she has an infection. Any advice would be helpful.

P.s. I cannot afford to take her to the vet as my family is in debt and my husband and I are unfortunately currently out of work. Any sort advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

She really needs to be seen by a vet as eyes are very sensitive things. Do you have a PDSA vet near you? The best you can do for her bathe it in camomile tea in the meantime.

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  3. David C

David C PetForums Senior

PDSA or RSPCA vets will help all that you have to do is show proof of benefits i believe

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  4. Anita1234

Anita1234 PetForums Member

Had a cat with a similar problem a lot milder I think ,the vet prescribed gentamicin drops, sorry I’m in Peru in the UK probably you need a vet to prescribe that and it could be something different , try camomile tea like lillytheunicorn said, but best to find a way to get her to see a vet somehow it could get worse

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Sumyam and welcome :)

As you say your cat probably has an infection in her eye and is in a lot discomfort, bless her. She does need to see a vet a.s.a.p. An untreated eye infection could lead to her losing the sight in the eye.

You can make up a saline solution using cooled boiled water and a little salt and gently bathe the eye with clean cotton wool several times a day. Then pat the area around the eye dry with a clean piece of kitchen paper towel. But if there is no improvement with the eye within 24 hours then you really do need to get her to a vet. Borrow the money if necessary.

As others have advised, register your cat with PDSA or an RSPCA Clinic if you have one near you. You will be entitled to free treatment for your cat if you are on welfare benefits. You need to register before you can get treatment and they will not treat emergencies if the cat has not been registered beforehand.

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/eligibility

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/findavet

Gallifreyangirl and Soozi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice