Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat is pregnant?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by miaell., Aug 14, 2019.

1. miaell.

miaell. PetForums Newbie

Hi, i’m just looking for some advice/ tips. A few months ago i bought a cat that was living in a very neglectful home. She seems much happier now with me and i love her to bits however about a couple weeks ago i noticed her belly start to get bigger. I gently pressed my hand on her belly and i can feel movement, i’ve done this a few times now and felt lots of moving. What i’m wondering is,does this mean she is very far along in her pregnancy? I would get a scan but i know i will have to pay for the kittens worming etc and i’m very low on money atm. Ive brought up a litter of puppies but not kittens(i did not intend on having kittens), any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated!
    (I will be getting her spayed as soon as possible)

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Can you pinpoint the day you brought her home and do you know with absolute certainty whether or not she has had access to the outdoors since that date?

3. miaell.

miaell. PetForums Newbie

i got her on the 24th of march and yes she is an outdoor cat. I don’t agree with the idea of having an indoor cat, plus, i thought she had been spayed so i was led to believe that she was safe to go outdoors.

4. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Has she got free access to the outside, or set days and/or times?

5. miaell.

miaell. PetForums Newbie

No, i let her out in the morning and make sure she is back in before night (she comes back in between) there have been just a couple occasions where she would not come back to me calling her and stayed outside overnight

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Oh dear. What made you think a cat from a neglectful home would have been spayed? She wasn't pregnant when you got her, she would have had kittens by the end of May if she was. She would probably have got pregnant one of the times she stayed out overnight.

From the details you give I reckon she has a couple of weeks to go - people usually notice their cat's belly expanding at about 5 weeks. Scans are very little help for estimating kitten due dates.

Keep her in from now until she is spayed. She will not like you doing it, but you can't risk her having kittens somewhere else, or going out with young kittens and not coming back, or coming back pregnant again.

Lots of good information on the iCatCare website:

https://icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens

Ideally you will keep the kittens until 13 or more weeks, and they will be wormed, flead, vaccinated & neutered before they leave you.

7. miaell.

miaell. PetForums Newbie

honestly i don’t know what i was thinkingI have been keeping her indoors, that was one of the main things i was worried about- that she would have kittens outside somewhere. I will definitely keep the kittens as long as needed and will make sure they’re happy and healthy.Id keep them all if i could!Thank you for the positive feedback, of course i’ve never done this before and never intended to do this really helps!

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice