Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat is pregnant.

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by andywest, Jun 29, 2009.

1. andywest

andywest PetForums Junior

Hi all,

At the end of May about 26th/27th my cat escaped for 2 days, and was worried that she may have been in heat. Have been keeping an eye on her and looking for any changes and noticed her nipples are getting larger and she is getting a lot heavier than she was.

Have taken her to the vets today and he has confirmed that she is pregnant.

Now i have never dealt with a pregnant cat before, in fact this is my first cat i normally have dogs, and neither has my faince. and i was just looking for some advice. I have just noticed the birthing box sticky at the top so am going to go read that for a while.

2. bluechip

bluechip PetForums Senior

you was very brave posting this on here.

the cat tends to do it all herself, they lose a plug and this is first sign of labor, they tend to get more needy and want to be fussed more.

when she starts to push just sit back and watch, you have to make sure mum is not getting distressed and when the kitten is out that she eats the placenta and cord but keep an eye on as sometimes mums can be doing this and chop through a leg or tail of the kitten.

make sure you have everything in such as
    sterile scissors to cut cord if mum don't
    dental floss to pop around the end of the cord to stop bleeding
    clean blankets
    birthing box
    plenty of food and water for mum.
    heating pad to keep babies warm.

3. bluechip

bluechip PetForums Senior

oh forgot to say if mum is really stressed and she has had no kittens or had a few but is stressed you need to get her to the vets as she will need help.

4. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

The best thing to do is research. Read everthing you can to prepear yourself for the birth. You'll need to start feeding her on kitten food now. Raoyal canin baby cat is excellent.
    There are lots of people on this forum who can offer you advice. How far along is she?

5. andywest

Hi thanks for the replies, i work it out that she's 5 weeks gone tomorrow/wednesday. and the vet also said about 5/6 weeks.

On the kitten food she is currently eating Orijen cat/kitten food would that be suitable or do you suggest different?

6. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Tia our tabby is 5 weeks gone, so we can help each other along, I have had experieced cat birth before, so i know what to expect..any questions, please ask...

#6 mypets, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  7. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Hiya, heres a usefull link for you, it has pictures too, so you know what to expect

Birth (parturition) in Cats - Signs of labour & the birth process.

You have about 4 weeks to do as much research as possible, most cats do It all themselves but theres always the odd one that might need assistance, which will usually mean yourself unless you have a vet on your doorstep.

Iam sure when the time comes there will be plenty of people here to assist you.

I hope all goes well Jen

bimbleweb likes this.
  8. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

9. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

I am going to sound really dumb now :eek:, what does green blob you mean?:idea::eek:
    sowwy:p

10. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

No problem. If you approve of someones' post you can click on the scales icon at the top right corner of their post and give them reputation points. It shows up on your posts as green 'blobs' at the top left. If you click on edit profile you can see who's rep'd you. Hope this helps! :) xx

bimbleweb likes this.
  11. celicababe1986

Thank you :) x

12. andywest

Thanks for that link :) much more concise version that anything i've found on the internet up to now.

I can imagine my fiance getting annoyed with me over the next few weeks because i tend to get overly focussed on things once i start.

13. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

I think its always better to be over prepared than under;)

The more research you do the better, and remember not to panic:)

Keep us updated Jen x

14. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

15. andywest

Do ccats attitude change after they've had kittens?

the only reason i ask is my fiance and I got poppy as a kitten and she was fine with both of us when we first got her, but after a while she started coming up and biting my fiance on the foot or leg then running away. I get the occasional soft nip when i'm stroking her but nothing serious. I'm hoping she may calm down a bit for my fiance's sake.

16. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Hey! Tia sometimes tries to nip me, when im stroking her, i think its a protection thing..cause they are her babies...bit like us, if someone looks and touches your baby you watch them like a hawk...

Tia has calmed down alot since getting her...she lets me stroke her belly now, but only for a little while..Iv left Tia alone and let her do what she wants to do, and now she jumps up on the sofa next to me, rubs herself against my leg..shes a changed girl since a few days ago, when she was hissing and going for me...

17. celicababe1986

My pregnant cat used to be very affectionate toward me....now (since she has been pregnant) she hates me!! She hasnt been vicious, but will walk out of a room when I walk in!!:eek:

However she has become extremly loving to my OH whom she never paid any attention to before :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice