Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat is ill because of booster

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by astro, Jul 11, 2009.

1. astro

astro PetForums Junior

We moved house a couple of months ago. My husband and I took our two cats to our new vet's on Thursday for their annual booster. Everything went fine.

About 3 hours later, one of my cats didn't seem right. He ended up bringing up his breakfast and slept quite awhile after that. Just before 7pm, I was about to prepare food for the cats and my dogs, and noticed that Tommy was around, but then disappeared. When I found him, he'd been sick - he'd brought up blood!

I arranged to meet the out-of-hours vet, who gave Tommy an antibiotic and an inflammatory injection. He said that sometimes pets can have a reaction (which I am aware of, but mine had never reacted to it)...then he said, "he's had a cat flu injection today" and then it hit me...I hadn't had my cats vaccinated for years for cat flu because they're indoor cats.

I'd never thought to request they not get that injection, and the vet obviously didn't think to ask if I wanted them immunized against cat flu.
    I feel horrible because I feel responsible for making my baby ill.
    Good news is that he perked up a bit within about an hour of getting the antibiotic, but still hasn't eaten today - not even the scrambled eggs I made him for breakfast. I hope he continues to improve - the vet we went to yesterday is on-call all weekend, but hopefully we won't need to see him again.

2. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Interestingly enough we had our boy at the vet for his booster last week. We were responsible for his initial two lots of vaccinations and arrived at the vets wednesday to discover they had changed their supplier and as such the clamydia vaccine was included. The breeder we got Willow from had encountered problems with this (lost neutered male following vaccination) and now does not vaccinate her cats against Clamydia. Whilst we understand this may not be a common occurance we decided we didn't want our cats vaccinated against Clamydia therefore made a point of asking. Had we not asked he would have been given the vaccination. We had to return a few days later when the original vaccines arrived in. My point being should it not be mandatory that clients are advised of what vaccines are being administered and possible side effects.

3. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Hey Astro,
    How's your cat doing today ?

4. astro

astro PetForums Junior

Yes, I feel that people should be advised what vaccinations their cats are about to receive, it's just that I should have known better. I've had Tommy for 4 years now, and my previous vet always asked if anything had changed about my cats' indoor/outdoor status and if I wanted them to receive the cat flu vaccination.

I guess some vets are more thorough than others when it comes to discussing boosters with pet owners.

5. astro

astro PetForums Junior

Hi, he's still not "right". He did eat some of his breakfast, but left half of it. He has been drinking more than usual, but I'm not concerned about this as he needs to stay hydrated. His temperature is back to normal and he's just curled up and gone back to sleep again...my border collies have been showing him more attention than the usual nuzzling and have been hanging around him. They seem to know Tommy's not feeling well :(

6. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Thats good he's had a wee bit to eat it'll probs take a few days before his stomach settles its amazing how resilient they are eh :)

7. astro

astro PetForums Junior

What a day...Tommy vomited up a lot of blood late afternoon. When I phoned the emergency vet he told me to bring him there straight away. I had to leave him for awhile so that blood and x-rays could be taken.

When I returned, Tommy was still under sedation and the vet was looking at the first x-ray; like the first, the second one showed nothing unusual so no blockages, no tumour; bloodwork was fine...the vet suspects a peptic ulcer or pancreatitis. More injections: an antidote for the sedative, another antibiotic, a heart wormer. Katalax to soothe the alimentary canal.

This was a very unfortunate coincidence, as it looks like the booster had nothing to do with what happened to Tommy; it's just weird how within 3 hours of receiving his booster, he showed signs of being ill. Tommy is still groggy and doesn't look like he's fully aware of what's going on around him. I can't feed him until later in the day tomorrow...I sure hope he starts to get better soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice