Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat is having a general anaesthetic.....

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by hebber, Apr 19, 2011.

1. hebber

hebber PetForums Junior

We took her last week for her check up and booster and we were told that her teeth badly needed a good clean and possibly extraction (remember my cat is a stray and me being embarrassed, told the vet that again as I didn't want her to think we weren't looking after her well) so we've booked her in for Thursday but has anyone else had this done to their cat? I'm worried about things going wrong.

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

How old do you think your cat is?

Dentals are very routine ( but important! ) procedures and lots of cats have them every day! At any rate the vets will run some bloodwork before to see if there are any problems with giving anaesthetic etc just in case!

I'm sure it will be fine!

3. hebber

hebber PetForums Junior

Thank you for replying .
    We first took the PAL (her name) to the vet's last year as we didn't even know what sex she was (we're not cat people) and the vet reckoned at that time she was about 4 or 5 years old (can't remember exactly but something like that). Anyway she was checked and was healthy but did mention the teeth to my husband then but didn't say that it really should be done.
    After taking her a couple of weeks ago the vet did explain then about how important it was for the teeth to be healthy which is why we booked her in straightaway. She did say she was healthy and nothing seemed wrong with her so for that I am pleased.
    Fingers crossed all we will be well on Thursday.
    One thing I am dreading.......having to take her food away at 6pm tomorrow night :sad:

4. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I'm sure it will be fine and it's nothing to be embarassed about, most cats at some point need a little dental work, doesn't help with your nerves though at having to leave them at the vets and I'm sure you will be thanked by your cat giving you the cold shoulder for a few days.

5. hebber

hebber PetForums Junior

Thank you....:)
    I do love "my girl" and will pay anything to make her better :D

6. crumbles

crumbles PetForums Junior

Good luck, I'm sure she'll be OK. my cat had to have his teeth sorted a few years ago, he came back with 1 less tooth & slightly wobbly, but was as right as rain in no time. The last thing you want is fot them to have toothache!

7. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Cats recover remarkably well from dentals and extractions! One of mine came home following some extractions ( with all sorts of offers re pain relief inc morphine from the vet! ) so you can imagine my amazement when he bolted out of the basket, headed straight to the kitchen where he proceeded to eat the dry food in the bowl!!

8. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

My 10 yr old cat had a dental in October last year and she came through it fine! (Unfortunately my bank balance didn't come through it quite so well!) She had one extraction and was fine when she got home, just completely starving! She had antibiotics and metacam for a few days afterwards too.

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Oliver was 13 at the time and had broken some teeth :confused: how I'll never know to this day plus a few other extractions so 6 in all on the same side!! He appears to have much weaker teeth than his relatives who've never had any ( like their owner! ) out at all!

10. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Really don't think you need to worry.

When Sooty (15 yo) had to go under general anaesthetic to drain his lump I raised my concerns with the vet as he is old and had been not to well over the weeks leading up to it. I asked if just a sedation could be done instead.

The vet explained that it's better for them to have a general anaesthetic than a sedation, as if something goes drastically wrong, it's
    a) quicker to reverse the affects of the drug and
    b) it's easier for them to administer CPR or keep them on a ventilator.

I trusted him decision and he was perfectly right :)
    He came out from the vets perfectly fine, acting a bit strange, but that is normal. He was eating, drinking and going to the toilet and wasn't woozy at all.
    Compare that to when he had to go in and have his glands expressed, the vet gave him some gas, and he was woozy for 48 hours afterwards, and puked too, which he didn't with the GA.

On a last note, it's definitely worth teaching her to let you brush her teeth! Buy special cat toothpaste (it reeks, believe you me), and either a baby toothbrush or a thingy you slip on your finger, then brush your kittie's teeth every 2-3 days.
    Sooty is 15 and never had to have any dental work so far, in fact the vet said he had the best teeth he had ever seen in a cat his age :) When we get our kitten home we will be brushing his too from an early age so he gets used to it.

Ems x

11. hebber

hebber PetForums Junior

Thank you all for the replies...you've put my mind at ease now :001_smile:

12. hebber

hebber PetForums Junior

Just to let you know, we picked Pal up from the Vet's at 3pm and all went well. Apparently her teeth are healthy and just needed a good clean and she didn't have to have any taken out :D
    She is still groggy at the moment so just waiting for her to perk up a little.
    Thanks again to everyone who replied :001_smile:

13. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Glad to hear all went well! You may experience that she behaves really out of character, and it may be distressing (it was for me). It will go away over the next 24 hours though and it is a very common side affect in kitties :)

Ems xx

14. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Glad everything went well, my 14yr old boy had his first dental a few months ago and i was panicking so much that he wouldn't come out of it but everything wen fine, it is normal for them to be groggy too, although mine was the opposite and ran round the house the rest of the evening :lol:

15. hebber

hebber PetForums Junior

Pal has recovered well and is absolutely fine....she hasn't actually attempted to leave the house at all (which I'm happy with as I don't like her being outside) but she's eating and drinking well and her teeth are sparkling :D
    For a little stray cat she certainly picked the right house to move into (even though we "were" both dog people and not cats LOL)....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice