Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

My Cat Is Dying, Should I Get Second Opinion?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by CatScratchFever, May 8, 2017.


  1. CatScratchFever

    CatScratchFever PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2017
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    My cat started throwing up really bad about two weeks ago. So we took him to the vet and an x-ray revealed there is a black mass growing in his stomach, possibly connected to the liver. The vet said it's likely cancerous and the only two options are to spend $3000-$4000 on surgery for removal (which there is no guarantee it'll help) or just make him comfortable at home until he passes away from it within the next few months (probably won't last the summer).

    He's almost 18 years old, so this is not unexpected, but should I get a second opinion. He's not the healthiest he's ever been, but his demeanor seems OK and he's eating/drinking decent. He doesn't hide anymore like he did when he was sick, so is there possibly something else I can do to prolong his life?
     
  2. Mirandashell

    Mirandashell Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2017
    Messages:
    6,533
    Likes Received:
    7,605
    If getting a second opinion would make you more comfortable with whatever you decide, then yes. But think hard about what you are told by the second vet, and about how far you are willing to go.
     
  3. cows573

    cows573 PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2017
    Messages:
    492
    Likes Received:
    576
    Personally, I know it is hard.... but at his age, I would focus on making his quality of life as good as it can be. If your vet is correct and there is a mass whether benign or not is prolonging his life worth it if he could potentially be sore or ill from treatments?

    I hate when that time comes with any of our animals but find reassurance that they had long, healthy and happy lives. I would hate to see any of them suffer and have made the decision to pts when I know that their quality of life would be poor...

    I am so sorry that your wee man is unwell and know that any decision that you make will probably be the hardest you have ever made...
     
    cava14 una and moggie14 like this.
  4. moggie14

    moggie14 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2013
    Messages:
    10,086
    Likes Received:
    8,453
    If he were mine, I wouldn't go through the stress of another vet and tests. He is a grand age at 18 and has no doubt had a long and happy life. I'd seek advice from the vet but my choice would be to ensure he is pain free for the rest of his days and is kept comfortable and well fed with his favourite meals. Lots of cuddles too. Just enjoy the time he has left and make it enjoyable for you both. You will probably know when he has had enough, and will ensure he doesn't suffer.
    So sorry, it's really very hard to go through but I know you will do your best by him. Big hugs xx
     
  5. Tobacat

    Tobacat PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2009
    Messages:
    641
    Likes Received:
    94
    Sorry to hear about your boy, I know it's not an easy time for you and having to come to a decision what you think is best for him.

    As said before, if a second vet opinion would make you more comfortable with what you decide to do, or if you think a second vet might give better treatment for whichever say you decide to go, then do get one. Up until two weeks ago I had two oldies (I had to have one pts so now have just my girl), and as they got older it was more about quality of life rather than quantity for me, ie there's only so much I'd put them through medically and how much stress I'd put them through with vets visits. I learnt my boy only had a few days to live, he could have had daily visits to the vets for various injections which may have given him another couple of days or helped him a bit, but I felt I wanted him to enjoy his last few days at home, where he could relax rather than the stress of constant visits for an extra few days including treatment and stress.
     
    cava14 una, moggie14 and cows573 like this.
  6. Psygon

    Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2013
    Messages:
    4,745
    Likes Received:
    21,494
    Sorry to hear about your boy. Having recently lost our girl Yoshi to cancer in her stomach, I know how devastating it is to get the news - so, like others have said, if getting a second opinion would help put your mind at rest, then I'd say go for it.

    Yoshi was diagnosed in January 2016 - we did actually opt to have an operation so that the vet could determin what type of cancer it was, and if it could be treatable. She was younger than your boy (14) but I have to say that if I was given the choice again I probably wouldn't have opted for that route. The operation made her quite uncomfortable and she seemed to deteriorate after it. We were almost at the point of thinking we'd lost her - especially since the outcome of the operation was that the cancer was inoperable and untreatable.

    However, with lots of love and care she did recover from the operation and then went on (mostly) fighting fit for almost 15 months (which our vet was quite surprised by on almost every visit).

    I would be inclined with your boy to make his life as comfortable as it can be, lots of love, good food and cuddles. With our girl Yoshi I swear it was the fish fingers I was giving her almost every week that were the key to her long and active life :D
     
    chillminx, cows573 and moggie14 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice