Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat is due to give birth please help

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Tracie Chandler, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Tracie Chandler

Tracie Chandler PetForums Junior

Hi my cat is 65 days pregnant. She was due to be done but got out of the house (somthing she has never done before) I took her to the vet who confirmed her pregnancy. She is 65 days today. She is leaking milk for the last 24 hours. She is not eating as much. But there is no other signs of labour. She has a appointment for Monday morning if she still has not had the kittens. Guess my main question is when she goes into labour will she have the plug come away first or could that happen in labour. And do most cats sleep alot at this stage ? X any advice would be fantastic x thankyou x

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Lots of good info on the iCatCare site:

https://icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens/my-cat-having-kittens

Female cats in call become escape artistes so make sure you don't let her out again until she has been spayed - some females will get pregnant again very soon after delivery. I would cancel the vet appointment, if she hasn't delivered by Wednesday (day 70) it might be worth a visit, but it sounds like she is very close to delivery.

If you had taken her to be spayed as soon as she came back that would have been before conception had taken place.

moggie14, lorilu and Tigermoon like this.
  3. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

The average length of pregnancy is 63-72 days so I cannot really see any point in rushing a cat who is only at day 67 to the vet if she is otherwise content and is still eating, drinking and toileting. Do you know for sure she is at 65 days today, was she out for less than 24 hours?
    The chances of you seeing the plug is remote due to the clean manner of cats. It also is not a good indicator of when a cat will give birth as some lose the plug a week before and others when contractions start.
    Cats prior to labour will spend a lot of time scratching around in their chosen birthing place. Some will sleep for a while before active labour starts and others will carry on as if nothing is happening, even stuffing a plateful of food before heading to their birthing place and immediately giving birth.
    The duration of the birth itself can be from about one hour to several hours. The size of the litter doesn't determine the length of labour. I've had girls have seven kittens in just under two hours while others have taken five and a half hours to have just three kittens.

moggie14, QOTN and chillminx like this.
  4. Tracie Chandler

From what I found out u count the days from the first mating. I Saw her with a male cat 65 days ago today x I managed to get her in doors that evening after shoeing off 7 male cats. She had been out from about 4am till 11pm. She is my baby x but being a house cat I did not think she would attempt to jump out of a upstairs window but she did. She is sleeping alot more today and is a little grumpy x she is happy for me to be in the room but if I get to close to her she tells me off x how soon after the kittens are born can she be done ? X

5. OrientalSlave

Which is why you must be super-careful to keep her in until she is spayed.

LinznMilly and Tigermoon like this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, a cat who is calling will definitely risk jumping out of an open window (even an upstairs one, even a small one like a fanlight window!!) to try and find themselves a mate. :( Please make sure there is no way at all whatsoever she can get out once her kittens are born.

I would book her for spaying once the kittens are well into being weaned, i.e. when the kits are around 6 weeks of age. By that age they are not totally reliant on mum for milk.

Tigermoon likes this.
  7. Tracie Chandler

As soon as I can she will be done x I'm not letting her go through this again :( I feel so terrible that she is going thro this x but all I can do now is make sure this won't be happening again xx thankyou all for your help and as soon as she has them I will put up some pics x this is my little escape artist x

Attached Files:

chillminx likes this.
  8. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

As @chillminx has said a cat in call will do whatever it takes to be mated, be that scrambling out of a window and plummeting to the ground far below or whipping through the tiniest gap between the door and your leg. Cat usually give birth at night (usually starting around 12-1am in the morning!!!). Going by what you have said she may well give birth tonight, but be prepared for a few sleepless nights until they arrive. Does your vet have an out of hours service? Hopefully you won't need it but if they don't have OOO cover, find the number of a practice that does just in case.

moggie14 and chillminx like this.
  9. Tracie Chandler

Yer they do have out of hours cover and I've saved there emergancy to my phone:) x it's just the waiting game now x

10. OrientalSlave

Check where their emergency surgery is as many vets these days use an out of hours service somewhere other than where you normally go.

11. Tracie Chandler

I've managed to find out that the out of hours gets is located about a 5 min drive away from where I live :) she is resting and sleeping alot more then normal today and constantly puring:) I feel so sorry for her but I am also very excited to meet these bundles of fluff and joy x I will keep you all posted x

12. Tracie Chandler

I've got up this Morning and she is panting. And then meowing then falling asleep the whole time purring then repeating it about 30/40 mins later could this be the start of it ? She is trying to clean her self more as well x

13. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Morning Tracie! I'm sure others will be along soon with advice.
    Is she sleeping in her birthing box? If so that is good, I would just keep a close eye on her and make sure she has plenty of water and food. Please keep us posted x

14. Tracie Chandler

No she is sleeping on a windowsill x she keeps getting down and going to her box but then wants to go back to her window. I'm going into check on her every 10 mins. And she don't seem to be panting any more but u can see in her face she is not comfy x

15. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Aw bless her. Sounds like she will go to her box when she is ready. What is her name and what colour is she? x

Oops sorry just seen photo. She is very pretty!

16. Tracie Chandler

I've just been up there to check on her again and she is now off the window and has dragged the towel out of her box and put it in the middle of the floor and is laid on it x can not see any obvious contractions x

17. OrientalSlave

It well could be, stay with her as a kitten can be delivered in a few minutes. Do you have a box with bedding ready? Occasionally cats deliver their kittens all over the place and they need putting together until she is finished. Fleece in a cardboard box is the best bedding in my view, on top of a puppy pad if she is kittening in it. Fluids go through fleece, it's quick & easy to wash, and it doesn't have loops which tiny claws can get caught in. If she isn't in the box with them you can use an empty drink bottle filled with warm (NOT hot) water and covered with fleece or toweling to keep them warm. Remember, too hot is as bad as too cold.

18. Tracie Chandler

She has a box all set up ready but she dosent seem to want to go in it x I had a towel folded up and she has dragged that to the middle of the room and keeps laying on it. Shall I see if she will let me change it for a fleece or just leave her with the towel? X

19. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

How big is the box and where is it positioned? Cats are funny things and can be a bit picky about their birthing spot. The trouble with a towel is she will naturally claw at it and kittens can become wrapped up and lost/suffocated within the folds. I'm with @OrientalSlave and use puppy pads and a fleece for my girls to birth on. If the queen has never had kittens before, she will be confused and frightened, as she is only running on instinct. I would be tempted to stay with her and watch carefully for any sign of contractions. In the early stages this could be as subtle as her stretching her back legs out slightly or rolling over onto her other side. Get a pen and paper and note down the times of every recognisable contraction you see.

20. Tracie Chandler

She has not had kittens before x she is stretching alot and has in the last 20 mins become very restless x her box is quite big and positioned in a quite corner x she let me change the towel for fleece :) x

Tigermoon likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice