Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat is being bullied

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sue Bird, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Sue Bird

Sue Bird PetForums Newbie

My cat - Will, 2yrs old neutered boy rehomed by me 9 months ago - is being bullied by a local cat, Jerry. Jerry is 18 months old and neutered and has a very nice home of his own, but was around before I got Will, he was coming thru' the cat flap so I changed it to one that reads Will's microchip to stop him. He is now trying to smash his way thru the cat flap, they have huge fist fights from either side. The same is happening thru' the windows - Will sits inside on the window sill and Jerry sits outside on the window ledge and they scrap. Jerry seems to lay in wait for Will, who is now reluctant to go out. Will is far bigger than Jerry, but is unable to stand his ground. We have regularly soaked Jerry, even put the hose on him and knocked him off the fence with the water jet and sprayed him with water through the cat flap, but nothing seems to deter him. When he sees me in the garden he comes over to me like a long lost friend!
    We have a detached house with large garden (as does Jerry) so they're not forced to share a small outdoor space.
    Suggestions please??

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Cat proof your garden or get a big run - that way your cat is safe and the bully stays out.

3. Puindoors

Puindoors PetForums Member

The exisiting cat is doing nothing wrong as far as cats are concerned, he's protecting his territory from an interloper.
    Do you know if the other cat is neutered? Territorial behaviour is far worse in un-neutered cats, if he is entire neutering might well help the situation.

Knocking him off the fence with a water jet, is cruel and potentially very dangerous to the cat, he's just acting on instinct. Apart from cat proofing your garden, getting a run or keeping him as an indoor only cat, there isn't a lot you can do I'm afraid. Cats don't recognise our bounderies and if you garden was his terrritory before your cat arrived, in his mind it still is.

Making sure he can't get into your house is a good idea, but watch out for inappropriate marking from your boy, sometimes stress like this can cause cats to start urine marking or middening to reinforce the territorial boundries he can keep i.e. in your house.

Sorry i can't wave a magic wand and make it better, poor you!

Emma

4. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

you could also speak to Jerry's mum and establish different outdoor times so they can both go out without stress.

5. Longton Flyball

Longton Flyball PetForums Senior

Sorry no advise but I am the grandmother of a bully. It's name is SNOOPY LOOPY.
    She's terrible only goes in our garden but if our neighbours cat is sitting on the fence she runs up behind her and smacks her on the bottom. Snoopy will also sit on our wall wait for Milly to come back and just sit and give the evil eye, which means that poor Milly has to wait up the road until Snoopy's in before she can go home.
    Milly did chase after Snoopy once unfortunately Snoopy ran in the house followed by Milly and ran behind Duke. Milly not realising how soft Duke is ran off even faster than when she ran in even more scared thinking that a big border collie would bully her too.
    I'm not proud of her :frown2:

#5 Longton Flyball, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

You've had some fab suggestions so far but can I just add please, please don't spray Jerry when he's on the fence, let alone knock him off again. My aunties cat died tragically a few years ago simply by slipping off a fence and breaking her neck.

7. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

I would have needed this testimony when people were talking about using electric fences to scare off cats.

8. Ian B

Ian B PetForums VIP

Same here, #3 cat Max and a semi adoptee, Buddy, before he disappeared, used to go out of their way to bully a tom from across the road. He couldn't even relax at home as they'd often follow him and lie in wait. God knows what his owners must have thought about all the silly o'clock fights in their garden.

Even #1 cat, Bola, the friendliest towards other cats, cat I've ever seen, has taken a serious dislike to my new-ish neighbours two toms. He will also go out of his way to pick a fight with them, ie yesterday afternoon when after what sounded like a duel to the death a few gardens away, he arrived back home looking very pleased with himself, if somewhat dishevelled and minus a recently bought collar and his ID barrel.

These neighbours went away on holiday last summer and had someone coming in to look after/feed their cats. They'd leave a kitchen window open so the cats could come and go and one at least one occasion, Bola followed them into the house to carry on fighting :eek:

Ian

9. Longton Flyball

Longton Flyball PetForums Senior

Oh love it that's great the cat going in to continue the fight I bet he's saying "Your house is my house so take it bitch."

Glad I'm not the only one that has a bully cat but yours are slightly worse as there's more than one :lol:

Sorry Sue bet this doesn't make you feel any better.

10. Ian B

Ian B PetForums VIP

It gets worse when I say the tom from across the road who Max bullies, often sneaks in thro' the flap here when he can't get in at home/the weather is bad. I don't mind as a/ he's jet black, b/ he's a semi long hair, a near perfect combo for me, but you can imagine what Max makes of this.

I did feel guilty about Bola bullying the two toms from next door, till I saw them bullying other, smaller cats themselves. If they can dish it out, they've got to be prepared to take it as well imo.

Ian

11. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

lol that cat sounds like my neighbours bitch, she jumps at my girls through the glass or the encosure been a pain in the ass.. I cant offer advice so am hovering to scab some of yours lol for myself :D x

12. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

thats horrible, I'd never thought that would happen :sad:

13. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

No suggestions aside what others have posted, but they're cats, they'll sort themselves out, Tilly is always scrapping thankfully never to the point where a vet is needed but he wins some he loses some....some cats on our street are like the mafia....all but the horses head in the bed of course ;)

14. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I do chase unfriendly cats (mostly entire toms spraying all over my garden, the wall of the house, the doors and catflap) out of my garden, and I do use a super soaker water gun, but I never hit them with enough force blast them off. If they lose their balance, it is their own haste to get away. And they do make a run for it.

And there really is no difference between me chasing them away and a more dominant cat doing so. I am just acting the role of dominant cat, now that my macho lilliput cat Spetter is gone. They used to have a lot more respect for Spetter than they have for my water gun. As soon as he came out, they would flee in all directions.
    And if they get half a chance, they will chase my cats in the most vicious way. One of MY cats fell off the fence fleeing from one ot these bullies, so why shouldn't I chase them in turn?

Once they get the message the garden is being defended, they stay away again for a while, which is all I want. I don't mean them any harm, but the cat mafia needs to know that in MY garden, I am top cat.

And we have lots of friendly cats gathering in my garden, no problem whatsoever. It is just these dominant entire toms causing trouble, and I don't tolerate them in my garden, whatever anyone else may say.

15. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

I reckon you should get Will one or two new allies to live with him, to help keep the bully at bay :D

16. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

What a silly idea! Never fails to amaze me how people will treat animals in ways they wouldn't treat themselves.

Yes, it was very upsetting for everyone. Millie wasn't elderly or anything, she heard my auntie get home from work and just did her usual routine of jumping over the fence to get home. We put it down as a freak accident but if they OP is spraying the cat to knock them off the fence I can see how it could easily happen to them.

17. PJCroad&Chico

PJCroad&Chico PetForums Member

Hiss at him loudly. Has worked on virtually every cat I've tried it with (sounds cruel but there was a reason for each time). That and chase him at the same time. And don't give him any positive attention.

Also try talking to him. Explain that it's not his home any more. In fact gentle may work better than harsh here - so instead of what you've done already or hissing, perhaps you could try gently picking Jerry up and putting him in his own yard/garden as you gently explain things. As for knocking the cat off the fence, I can understand you were protecting or trying to protect your cat - but if someone calls the RSPCA and for once they decide to act, they won't and neither will the magistrate.

#17 PJCroad&Chico, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  18. PJCroad&Chico

Then why don't you try to stop her?

19. PJCroad&Chico

And then there's people who treat their own kids in ways they wouldn't treat themselves. amazing the amount of videos on youtube where some kid gets hit by an adult and so-called adults are condoning it.

20. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

lol I wondered the same :D that cats the type that would get pushed over the fence in my house lol ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice