Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat is being bullied out of her own home

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by MyBeanie, Sep 26, 2013.

1. MyBeanie

MyBeanie PetForums Newbie

Hi. Hoping someone has some suggestions as I am running out of ideas.

We had 3 cats, Fizzy (19 year old boy), Holly (7 years, girl), Toffee (1 year, boy). At the end of June a stray adopted us, we decided to take her on as our other cats seemed to accept her. We then since found out she was pregnant and now we have four 5 week old kittens who we will be finding good homes for.

The issue is that Holly and Mittens - the adopted stray, had a coming together one day and had a viscous fight, this has left poor Holly absolutely terrified of Mittens now. She is mostly living outside on our shed roof. She will come in for food once we have shut Mittens in another room and then she is desperate to go back outside. We can sometimes carry her up to my sons bedroom where she feels safe and will sleep there when it's cold, but we have to keep the door closed as she's so scared.

We have tried slowly re-introducing them, by giving them treats together and fuss etc but because Holly is so terrified she will just run from Mittens, to which then she will chase her out the house. I know she is probably being protective over her kittens, but they got on ok when the kittens were first here.

I know if Holly didn't run from her and face up to her then Mittens would back down.

Sorry to write so much, but it is so upsetting and the last thing I want to happen is to have to re-home Mittens. She's such a sweet skinny little thing but turns into evil cat when Holly is around to chase.

We will obviously be getting Mittens neutered when the kittens are weaned, which is soon hopefully, would this make her less aggressive?

I have even tried Feliway spray and plug in diffuser to help calm Mittens and give Holly some much needed confidence, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully welcomed.

Many thanks, Vicky

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Vicky, just to say first of all I hope you are keeping Mittens indoors until she is spayed, as it is possible for her to get pregnant again right now even though she is still nursing kittens. She does not need to be in heat to get pregnant.

I don't think you stand much chance of putting things right between Mittens and Holly whilst Mittens still has her kittens as it is this that's making her over-protective of her territory and causing her to over-react and be aggressive.

I think you owe it to poor Holly to make the house a safe place for her. She was there first after all, bless her. Mittens is the one who should be confined to one room, or one area of the house (with her kits), not Holly.

Mittens and Holly should be kept apart at all times until the kittens are gone, and also until Mittens is spayed and her hormones have settled down. Only at that point could you consider trying to re-introduce them by going back to Square 1 and using these techniques:

Integrating Cats

You may have your work cut out though as Holly is so very terrified of Mittens. :( If she continues to be very frightened of her there is a risk she (Holly) will leave home for good. (It happens I'm afraid).

Meanwhile, to help Holly I would buy some Feliway Diffusers and plug them in around the house 24/7 and also I would give Holly a course of Zylkene for a month to help her with her stress and self-confidence issues.

Zylkene Capsules - Priced Per Tablet - 75mg - Animed Direct

It is a supplement, and very palatable to cats. Open the capsule and mix the powder with the cat's food.

3. MyBeanie

Hi. Many thanks for your reply it was really helpful.

I will try what you have suggested and I have also just been on to order some Zylkene for her.

I had never heard of these, but all the reviews sound great, so hope they help her.

Many thanks again for your help x

4. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

If someone hadn't already suggested Zylkene I would have done so. The only difference is that I would have suggested giving it to both cats. It's a darn sight cheaper to buy the large dog size and sprinkle the right proportion of the capsule contents into the food. 75mg single dose capsule is 38p per dose. Buy the 450mg large dog size and it's five doses for 99p.

#4 havoc, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  5. MyBeanie

Hi. Many thanks for the info.

Do you know if it's ok to give a nursing cat Zylkene?

The capsules arrived this morning, so would like to start with both of them ASAP.

6. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

My gut feeling is that it's probably OK for a nursing queen, especially as the kittens aren't very young.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice