Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat hates my room!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Yogis, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Yogis

Yogis PetForums Newbie

my cat used to love my room but after awhile he bolts from my room right away and I have never done anything bad to him in that room. If it’s a new scent’s problem how do I get rid of the scent?

2. TabbyMama92

TabbyMama92 PetForums Junior

Have you got any new scents in the room that he might not like? Like new fabric softener on your bedding/new cleaner that you've used or anything? How long has it been going on for? If it's just a random thing it could be that he got spooked by something - I know my cat tends to suddenly leap up and run out of the room every now and again.

3. Kawaii_cdn

Kawaii_cdn PetForums Newbie

I’m not sure, but he’s starting to come in for a minute or so if I open all the windows… does that mean he doesn’t like my room, and the only reason he comes in is by the attractions outside? He doesn’t come near me at all.We used to be so close and he meows at me in the morning, sleeps by my side, and follows me around the house. But now that more of my family members are starting to stay at home, he’s turned to be like this. I admit I’ve tried to drag my BSH from under my bed, but my mom was demanding me to show the guests both of our cats before they were leaving.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

A cat should never, ever, be dragged out of a hiding place to which he/she has retreated for safety! The only exception would be if there was a life threatening emergency.

If it was so vital for the guests to see the cats they could have knelt down and peered under the bed at your cat. :rolleyes: . But your cats' needs to be able to retreat to safety, should always come before the wishes of your guests.

If it is the same cat you dragged out from under the bed who is now wary of you and doesn't want to come in your room then that is the reason why. If it is the other cat who is scared of you then it's probably because he/she witnessed you dragging the BSH out and is afraid you will try the same thing with him.

I don't know if you will be able to get your cat's trust back. You will have to respect his wishes and let him make up his own mind where he wants to be.

5. Kawaii_cdn

My cat is totally fine with my room now, but he just won’t go ON my bed. I’m suspicious that he dislikes the cleaner that I used to clean out his pee on my mattress. But that was the only way :(. I wonder if time will make him more comfortable with my bed because I’m pretty sure I won’t change to a new queen sized mattress. I’ve gotten it as a birthday gift from my parents (a pretty expensive and nice kind).

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am glad to hear your cat is fine going into your room now. That's good news. :)

It may possibly be the case he dislikes the smell of the cleaning fluid you used on your mattress if it has a very strong smell of chemicals.

But if he got told off or shouted at for soiling your bed then probably he associates the bed with humans being mean and angry with him, so he is far too fearful to go on the bed now.

I hope you have fitted a waterproof mattress protector to your mattress so if there were to be another accident with wee, it would not go through the bedding to the mattress. A mattress that keeps getting cat urine on it will soon be ruined beyond recovery and have to be thrown out and replaced with a new mattress.

Waterproof mattress protectors can be bought quite cheaply from places such as amazon and there are ones that are breathable, so you don't get overheated sleeping on them. Always better to be safe than sorry, when you live with cats. ;)

7. Kawaii_cdn

Thank you for replying, and yes, I do have a waterproof mattress protector ;). I never told him to get off or scolded him for soiling on my bed though :(

chillminx likes this.
  8. Kawaii_cdn

Sorry I forgot to mention this and thats why it’s so confusing. Yogis is my sister and her Bengal tends to bolt around the house anyway. I’ve probably already helped her know why he is running away from her - Because she was trying to force her Bengal to sleep with her during her nap time. So I think time will solve her problem.

We are talking about my BSH now in this thread and again I apologize for not starting a new thread in the first place and just kept talking because we were having almost the same problems with our cats and also talking in person at home so I got mixed up and just continued asking about my BSH’s problem since both our cats were doing the same thing… for different reasons, though :p now she understands why her problem is happening and so that’s why she stopped posting and it’s me who’s talking about my BSH now ;).

I think my cat has forgiven me for dragging him out from underneath my bed because sometimes he goes under to sleep there when he feels like it. But he still refuses to go on my actual BED and sleeps on the carpet around my bed :( or behind my computer. I’m pretty sure I won’t be changing the mattress. So does this mean he will never come on or will time solve the problem? Or is there some scents that cats like, so I can spray them on my bed so he won’t dislike it anymore? I think I’ve read somewhere BSHs tends to have good memory, but if he can forgive me for taking him out from under the bed will he “forgive” the scent someday?

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Well I guess you could try rubbing your bed linen with cat nip, or you can buy sprays of the stuff. That might possibly attract your cat to the bed. Be aware though that not every cat responds to cat nip, and if your BSH is still a kitten under 6 months old he may not respond to it anyway.

I am very glad you didn't tell him off for soiling your bed, bless you. :) Cats are such clean animals, they only ever do something like that when they are upset, stressed or ill.

10. Kawaii_cdn

My cat is already almost two years old and he ignores all the treats and catnip which his previous owner gave us when we got him. He also seems to like the way cheaper superstore cat litter than the super expensive two kinds of litter that they gave us as well ;). They said he prefers those but… nah. Same with the two beautiful litter boxes and ceramic bowls. :cool:

I don’t know if he only dislikes the catnip that came with him? Do they have different flavours? So what do you mean by sprays of those stuff? So should I spray them on TOP of the places I sprayed the cleaners? Wouldn’t that make a very weird smell?

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, probably best not to use the catnip spray. Better to put some good quality cat nip toys in your bed - those will soon have his interest if he likes cat nip at all.

No, it doesn't come in different scents but the better quality [more expensive] cat nip smells nicer and stronger. Not every cat likes cat nip but those that do like the Yeowww toys.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yeowww-Ban...J&psc=1&qid=1569883680&sprefix=yeowww,aps,139

Most cats like eating from ceramic bowls if the bowls are wide and shallow so they don't cause whisker bruising.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice