Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my cat hates my dog

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by tbofram, Apr 30, 2011.

1. tbofram

tbofram PetForums Newbie

i have a 9 year old burmese cat and when i got her nearly 5 years ago from a person who could no longer care for it she was fine. she loved us all and we put up with her voice (they are very noisey cats) well nearly 2.5 years ago a got a lab (puppy) and he loves the cat so much but the first day we brought him home he went and ate the cats food (he had it the stairs waiting to go up) and ever since the cat has hated him with a passion. the dog won't go up stairs because he thinks are cat will hurt him (yes the dog is scared of the cat even though he is much bigger then her) infact the dog won't go up any sort of steps (this gave me alot of trouble when i walked hadrian's wall with him last year). the cat still loves us but she really only likes me now (i let her go in my room and she sleeps on my bed). if the dog goes in the same room as her then she will hiss and put her claws in my knee. i can't get rid of the dog because everyone loves him and hes a good boy but everyone else in my family has lost trust of the cat and i am hoping there is some way of getting her to lighten up when she sees the dog. right now she is sitting next to me looking so cute and puring but that would all change if the dog came in.

Help!!!!

2. tbofram

tbofram PetForums Newbie

this is her in a good mood. grrr she was not going to open her eyes while i had the camera but as soon as i put it away and got the memery card out she turned over opened her eyes and started playing :) i love her

Attached Files:

3. GingerHound

GingerHound PetForums Member

Well any sensible dog should be scared of a cat and the cat should be the boss. 2.5 years is a long time though and if they haven't made friends by now it seems unlikely they every will, as some animals do just hate each other.

Can you keep them apart using stairgates or will the cat come looking for the dog?

I should just add, our cat slaps the dog on a fairly regular basis, just so he knows who the boss is.

4. tbofram

tbofram PetForums Newbie

well i don't keep them apart by force but the cat rules up stairs and as the dog just does not go on steps she knows she is safe up there. but at night time when she comes down to sit on our knees (she is boss and demands we give her a knee) the dog has no choice but to wait till the cat puts her self to bed (usually 8:30 every night) it's too bad they have not given up and become freinds but i think that the cat has had a bad experience with dogs early in her life or something before we got her. ahhwell she is still a funny cat when the dog is gone

5. Ali82

Ali82 PetForums Senior

I know it's of no help to you but I thought I'd tell you about my dad's cat and dog. He has a massive Chocolate Labrador, probably the tallest most muscular Lab I've ever seen. Anyway he's absolutely scared stiff of the cat (who is a massive softy himself and never shows any aggression towards him), so much so that he won't walk past the cat or come into the house through the door if the cat is visible. I've seen the dog sit by the back door for half an hour until the cat wanders off and he can come in lol:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice