Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat has started peeing in the house

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by teaspoon, Jul 6, 2009.

1. teaspoon

teaspoon PetForums Newbie

Hello all!

I have a 10 year old neutered tom cat who has recently started peeing in the house.

Until a few weeks ago he would always go outside or occasionally he would use his littertray.

Then suddenly he started going in the house. I have caught him on a couple of occasions and shouted at him, praised and gave him treats when I witnessed him go in his littertray or outside.

I have shampood and sprayed the carpet with anti-smell stuff but to no avail, he still does it.
    I got a puppy a year ago and was worried how the cat would take to it but things went fine and they arranged themselves.
    Since the dog's moved in I've made sure I'd show the cat plenty of affection (although he's not much of an affectionate cat) and he's been getting more treats than ever he did before the puppy joined us.

I do think that his behaviour now is petty rebellion but how do I stop him from doing it?
    I can't watch him 24/7 and do not like the thought of restricting him to the kitchen (despite the catflap).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, ta!

2. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Firstly take him to the vet to rule out stuff like cystitis, bladder infections, crystals etc or some other underlying cause.

I found that Feliway diffuser worked well combined with Cat Attract litter for my boy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice