Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat has started attacking my dog?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lunaakita93, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Lunaakita93

Lunaakita93 PetForums Junior

My cat Sybil has been nervous as there has been a lot of changes in the house. When she gets a fright (maybe a loud noise or unexpected fast movement)
    She will chases my dog until she catches him and will bite and scratch him. I have to remove her as she keeps going (she never turns on me). 5 mins later she will rub against him and sleep next to him. She just seems to channel her anxiety on him.

I was thinking of getting filaway diffusers but the “filaway friends” seems to be for cat on cat issues so I don’t know if filaway classic would suit my situation better?

I feel things will calm down in a month or so she is just stressed due to change but I would like to help her in the mean time.

Thanks, Laura.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would imagine the plug in will work just as well with cat and dog issues as I believe they help the cat to de stress.

I’d also make sure they are separated securely when nobody is around to supervise.

chillminx likes this.
  3. Lunaakita93

They are thanks,
    What type of filaway would you recommend? The are both plug in’s

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I wouldn't bother with feliway. Lately it seems to make situations worse rather than help, from the posts I've read and the experience of a couple of friends.

I like Rescue Remedy for stress, and I see Zyklene recommended a lot here. I haven't used the Zyklene myself.

#4 lorilu, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Never used them, sorry,

Hopefully, more Cat Chatters will respond with their advice/experience.

6. Lunaakita93

Is this what you were referring to?

Attached Files:

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

It sounds like redirected agression. Does your cat have a safe hideaway where they will not be disturbed preferably high up. The more safe hiding spots the safer and more relaxed she will be. Cardboard boxes with hole cut in the side, a cupboard or wardrobe or an igloo type cat bed tucked away can all help.

Re treatments I dont recommend feliway. It can make some cats more anxious. Cat rescue remedy, zylkene powder on food (a natural milk protein found in cat mothers milk) and beaphar calming spot on (Valerian) may all help. Zylkene.can take a weekto.10 days to.work and works on some cats but not others. It is cheapest to by the large dog zylkene capsules and then just open the capsule and dose the appropriate portion for cats 75mg).

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice