Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat has really changed:-(

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Sweetie, May 1, 2011.

1. Sweetie

Sweetie PetForums Member

I feel terrible, we got Angelica our BSH kitten about 2 months ago now. We already have our Norwegian Forest cat, she is 18 months old. She is a gorgeous cat, always so friendly and easy going. Then a few weeks ago out of the blue she had a fight with our new kitten. The kitten actually terrified her, and since then her personaility has really changed, she can be quite unpredictable and go for you if you walk past her etc... and they now and again still have a scuffle, but nothing major. We are just keeping a close eye on them and keeping them seperate at night or when we go out.

She is just acting really different, she now won't eat when we put food down next to our kitten, she wants us to put it in her room near her bed, not in the kitchen as normal. She is very timid, alot quieter and like i said occasionally she can suddenly bite one of us.

We spoke to the vet and he thinks she feels pushed out maybe, but we still do our best to make her feel so loved, but she isn't as friendly as she was, we do all still stroke her and she snuggles up near us. Alot of the time though she goes off alone and doesn't want attention.

Will this wear off? will they ever get on? I feel terrible for her, I hate seeing her look so sad, she has lost a bit of weight too:( The vet has checked her over and said she is fine and not to worry at all.

2. Sweetie

Sweetie PetForums Member

Yes, we had her spayed recently. I feel awful now she has changed:(

Thank you.

3. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Sweetie, seriously, ignore that utter pile of crap that 'person' posted. They are trolling all over the forum.

You have not changed your cat by spaying her. You have saved her from horrible calls, pregnancy, and getting a puss filled diseased uterus.

4. Sweetie

Sweetie PetForums Member

The change seems to have come since that afternoon they had a scuffle. I just hate the idea of her feeling pushed out, if that is what she is feeling. If only she could tell me:(

5. Sweetie

Sweetie PetForums Member

Ok, phew. I was feeling bad enough at her sudden change.

She was spayed recently, beforehand she had skin infections and a constant cold as a kitten so the vet refused to spay her but she has been done now. She was constantly calling and it was awful to watch.

Thank you xx

6. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

all my cats are neutered/spayed and all are/were good mousers. Granted the 16 yr old can't quite catch them but the 3 yr olds help her out...

7. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Biggest pile of doggy doo i've ever read in my life :001_smile:

8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

How long ago was she spayed? It took my Rilly a few weeks to get back to normal (time for the hormones to settle). Once she had she was back to (almost) her pre kitten/calling days. Give her chance hun, I'm sure she will come round.

Was she and the kitten friendly and loving to each other before the spay and spat? If so you might find that felifriend spray in will help while she fully recovers. This is to help rebuild a relationship that has fractured. Or Feliway plugin might help either, if it's more of a stress thing.

Please ignore the utter crap about spaying posted by Raventhorn :rolleyes:

#8 Aurelia, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  9. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

I gave them a green dot instead of red by accident, how clever am i! :eek:

10. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

what utter b***s*** why the hell are you tring to make someone feel bad about spaying their cat. I would like to see evidence that unspayed cats live healthier happier lives than spayed cats

11. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I have never read such utter rubbish :blink: In all the years I have had cats (around 40) I have never known neutering either a male or female to make any difference to them.

12. gloworm*mushroom

Not to mention they are trying to imply at FOUR they were against neutering.

Sorry but I am currently teaching 5/6 years old 'cats have kittens' 'cows have calfs' so to believe the concept that a child had ANY idea what neutering was is ludicrous!

13. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I quite agree but to be honest I think they are quoting from an anti neutering site (how such things can exist I have no idea :mad:) rather than speaking from personal experience.

14. gloworm*mushroom

Oh yup I know but thats just one more thing to cry 'rubbish' at on that site!

I looked at the anti neutering site, she linked to it on another post, what a load of crap!

15. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

i decided to say it with a lovely red blob :mad:

16. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Its nothing to do with neutering, its to tdo with the fact its been her house fgor 18months and a random new kitten has come into her terroroty and she doesnt like it, some cats can take 6 months to even settle with the idea of a newbie in the home!

are they kept seperate? make sure they have high places to get to, lots of affection to both treats, playing etc

What a pile of the biggest dolop of crap Ive ever seen! NONE of thios happens people reading this, its total crap!

as you can read animals minds ( :rolleyes: ) Im pretty sure the cats after having 5 litters a year, their eyes will be saying this to you!!!!!!!

YouTube - Help! Cat Music Video

:D :D

17. shells

shells PetForums VIP

trust me you did right by your cat in getting her spayed if you hadnt you would be in my shoes and thats not where you whant to be xx

18. Steph_Mitsy

Steph_Mitsy PetForums Member

I had my last girl done on the vets say so, she was a naughty little thing that would stalk, run at me sideways and bite your feet and hands... the vet said to get her done see if that helps... i swear to god they gave me the wrong cat back!! :blink: she was utterly different, purring all over the place, coming up to me for a snuggles, never bit me again - men on the other hand!! she hated men lol

19. profx

profx PetForums Member

i absolutely hate people who try to guiltrip people. that is a load of $%@ !

20. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

thats an awfull thing to pull on someone shame on you :nono:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice