Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat has hurt her tail

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Wendy H, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Wendy H

Wendy H PetForums Newbie

My resuce cat who is very nervous, stayed out late on thursday night. When she came in she seemed ok but did hide in a new place. The next day she eat nothing and stayed in her bed all day. In the eve we did manage to get her to eat a small amount of food. She again later ran upstairs to hide.
    Today she seems a bit better, but I have noticed that her tail is hanging down. when I went to touch it she hissed loudly. yesterday I noticed she seemed to clean around her back passage, but I think now she was maybe licking her tail.
    Has anyone any ideas?:confused:

2. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I think I'd take her to the vet just to be on the safe side :)

3. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I agree with Kittykat, take her to the vet to be on the safe side

4. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

A vet visit is definatley in order!
    Tail injuries can be quite serious, if the cat has been bitten, and often it is the tail that gets bitten by other cats or even a dog or rat when they go to run away!! Then there could be an abcess brewing which will need antibiotics and possibly opening up if it is swelling up a lot.
    Or if the cat has been caught or clipped by a car the tail paralysis could also be a sign of bowel and bladder paralysis!! this is very serious, if you see your cat dribbling urine and licking itself an awful lot i would seek veterinary advice today even thoug it is sunday!! If your cat cannot empty it's bladder it could suffer from kidney failure!!

Don't mean to scare you, just giving advice, hope all is ok and she has just been bitten as that is the easier of the 2 troubles!!!

munchbunch and purrlover like this.
  5. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Defo straight to the vet to get it checked out. Hope she's ok x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice