Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat has gone blind

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kerryclear, Apr 8, 2011.

1. kerryclear

kerryclear PetForums Newbie

Hi all... 2 days ago I noticed that one of my cat's eyes was squinted, I cleaned it and noticed it was a different colour (blue) and glassy. Yesterday I came home from work to find she was walking into things, checked, and both her eyes seem to have gone. (Que endless tears from me thinking she was dying) I took her to the vet. Apparently she is blind but there is nothing else wrong with her. They have given me "fucithalmic vet" drops to give her 3 times a day. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this so I have something to expect, e.g the chances of her regaining her sight. She is 14 and an indoor cat (has been for a while anyway) and just sleeps most of the time. :(

2. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Did they not give any reason as to why she had gone blind? when their older i think it can sometimes be due to high blood pressure etc which if controlled can bring their sight back somewhat.
    People with more knowledge on this should be along soon :)

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Poor cat.Did your vet not give you any indication why she has suddenly gone blind.As Gem16 has said this can often be a symptom of another condition which,when treated may result in some if not all sight being restored.I would have thought some blood tests and other routine tests need to be done to pinpoint a cause.

4. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

i also agree with buffie and gem16 here can they not do some tests to see if they can pinpoint why her sight went? i have no experience with blind cats but i hope all ends well :D

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to hear about your cat! Is she being treated for any other illnesses?

Are her pupils dilated? Did the vets take her blood pressure? High BP is a major cause of blindness causing the retinas to detach and if she receives medication ( Istin/Norvasc) VERY SOON it's very possible to restore her vision! I wouldn't delay on this one and in fact I'd contact the emergency vets NOW and explain all this to them.

Prompt action can make all the difference as to whether she can regain her sight or not!

I hope it all goes well for you!

6. quequeg1988

quequeg1988 PetForums Member

i'd advise you to get test's done too, an if its irreversible i caan give you advice for her care as i had a blind cat, completly in one eye with 90% vision loss in the other from birth for 15 year's :) si i have lots of tip's for you :)

Attached Files:

7. Maire

Maire PetForums Newbie

I hear your concern. and of course, yes to immediate care!

My cat has just been initially diagnosed with retinal atrophy. I'd be very grateful to hear the last person's suggestions and experience for keeping a blind cat healthy and happy!
    I just read that using toys that make noise and toys that smell and using hands and voice to pay them lots of attention is helpful! And a happy voice so they don't have to carry our sadness at their condition is helpful too.

Any suggestions for helping a cat who's only 5 and seems to be losing his sight, and on top of that, is temporarily living with a foster family while i'm oveseas..

Thank you!!!

8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I hope your kitty can get some of her sight back! It must be awful to see your kitty go through that.

Is your kitty an outdoor cat? If so please keep her in from now on. Too many dangers out there for cats as it is, but one with a loss of sight or sound can be in extreme danger.

9. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Some great advice given, so just to say I hope your kitty can get help and her eyesight saved.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice