Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my cat has Gingervitis..please help.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ChrisKon, Jan 18, 2016.

1. ChrisKon

ChrisKon PetForums Junior

Hi feliners, hope all is well. I just recently found out that one of my cats (3 years old) has slight tartar build up and early signs of conjunctivitis. Is there anything that I can do at home to reduce symptoms? They're on a full raw diet with the occasional treats. Not sure if they'd allow me to brush their teeth without a few punctures on my hands!! Vets are saying it will cost £450 for x rays, clean etc...unfortunately, I can't afford this right now. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance :):)

2. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

If a dental is needed there is no alternative really, it will simply get worse and can cause other health problems including heart disease. Gums recede and pockets form between the tooth and gum, teeth rot and become painful, cat stops eating, infection gets worse, cat gets very sick and the vet bill is even higher.

Google feline gingivitis and stomatitis, think of the pain for your cat. See the red patches in the photos https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...KEwjoj7nAiLXKAhVIXhQKHf3ID8IQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1.1

Ask your vet if they can do a payment plan, (or sell your belongings). Has your cat ever had a descale? Maybe ask for that without the Xrays first, but don't leave getting it done properly for too long.

Conjunctivitis is an eye condition BTW.

We took in a cat that was found to have gum problems, she had 2 dental procedures and some extractions over a year, before it was resolved. Her previous owners hadn't bothered with her.

ChrisKon and Squeaks like this.
  3. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

One of my cats recently had her teeth cleaned under GA. She didn't have x-rays done first. It cost £280. Ask the vet if x-rays are really necessary at the moment as this will bring the cost down. My vet recommended giving the cats a raw chicken wing every now and then as crunching on the bone helps to keep the teeth clean, but my 3 wouldn't touch them!

ChrisKon likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice