Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat has changed colour

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by vectis, Apr 18, 2011.

1. vectis

vectis PetForums Newbie

I have a black and white cat - well I did have a black and white cat now I have a brown and white cat as he seems to have changed colour.

he is 15 and since moving to the Isle of Wight he has changed from an indoor cat to one I only see when he wants feeding.

he is fit and healthy and his coat is glossy. He eats well and has a balanced diet.

I dont really want to take him to the vet if its only old age and change of environment as a trip to the vets leads to a traumatised cat and much shedding of blood (mine) as he is scared stiff of going into a cat basket as he was a rescue cat and had a bad experience before we got him

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I can only suggest it's the sunshine now that he's an outdoor cat. I had a black moggy that looked distinctly brown in the summer time as he got older - we used to joke that he was going rusty with age :D If he is well and there is no other change than the colour of his coat I wouldn't worry too much.
    Pictures would be lovely :D

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

It is quite common for all black cats to fade to a rusty tinge when spending a lot of time in the sun outdoors....this seems to be particularly noticeable in longer haired cats and around the 'mane' or ruff area. However, it can also be a sign of L-Tyrosine deficiency, and I think (?? ) maybe liver issues as well....so I would still consider that vet visit!

4. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

If he was mainly an indoor puss and now he is enjoying the outside then it could be something to do with the sun.
    Maybe he's always had a bit of brown in him and being indoor you might not have noticed it.
    The sun does change the colour of our hair when we are out in it.
    Has it been warm and sunny the last couple of weeks in your neck of the woods?
    If he's got a glossy coat and is eating well and is enjoying his outdoor pursuits then I would just keep an eye on him.

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Black coat colour can change to a rusty one from the effects of sunlight! Sounds as if this is the case if he's spending a lot of time outside.

6. vectis

vectis PetForums Newbie

Yes very warm and sunny ( he he sitting on the garden bench sunning himself as I type)

7. vectis

vectis PetForums Newbie

he is due a booster soon ( gets out leather gauntlet and mask in preparation):cryin: so will flag this up with the vet just in case

thanks

8. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

PP-you're absolutely right! Was going to post something similar but couldn't remember what the deficiency was and if it was later discounted??

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ahh, now you have me Ianthi!

If a vet visit is on the cards in near future, then I would try 'supplementing' his diet in the meantime to see if it makes any difference. What does he currently eat? Would he eat some chunks of raw meat or mince for a snack??

10. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I just remembered something that sounded like 'taurine' :) and didn't want to post when unsure of correct term! Useful to know though, just in case! And actually liver problems would make sense to me also!

11. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Does he still look 'black' when indoors? Or is he definitely brown indoors too?

Only asking because my old Boris used to look as black as anything in the house but was more brown when outside in natural daylight & sunlight.

12. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

My black cat is definitely brown underneath and it's way more obvious in the sun. My little black and white one, well her black bits are dark grey with black tabby stripes in the sunlight - it's quite beautiful actually :)

13. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Sooty has always been an outdoor cat and as the OP mentioned, was mainly only seen for feeding times or if it was cold outside and he wanted a nap in the warmth.

He is tuxedo but still black on the bits that are supposed to be black (apart from some thinning at the temples in front of the ears and some greying around the back legs:D)

14. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Good point.;)

15. vectis

vectis PetForums Newbie

He has biscuit purinas one which he likes, he also has wet food normally felix as good as it looks and he loves pilchards - we also give him fresh cooked chicken but no he wont eat raw meat.

16. vectis

vectis PetForums Newbie

No he is deffo brown when indoors

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice