UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat has been sick for a week and a half. I live on a remote island in Western Sumatra. My cat is about 5 months old and is usually very active. It enjoys feasting on local reptiles and running throughout the house. For the past week it has been stationary and has only been interested in sleeping. It is still eating regularly but is just sleeping all day. About five days ago its left eye started to glaze over with a grey cloud. I thought maybe the eye was infected so I have been treating it with HCL eye drops. 1 drop twice daily. This has not helped. I read online that cats react to antibiotics. I have been feeding my cat 30 mg of amoxicillin for the past 4 days and have seen no sign of improvement.

Today my cat has been stumbling through the house and has showed more implications of a vision loss. Its right eye has still not gone grey but it appears to have more of a vision and motor skills loss. The cat seems very disorientated and I’m not sure what to do next.

Could you please give me your professional opinion on my cats behavior? I can send photos of the eye if necessary. As mentioned before I am on a remote island and do not have any access to a vet. The cat five months old and is a male.

It’s one of my best friends and I would really like to save it’s life if I can.
Thanks

-Jeff

·
Registered
868 Posts
You really do need to get him to a vet asap. Animals should not be given human medicines unless prescribed by a vet, it is very likely that the drugs he has had may be responsible for the loss of motor function. Please don't give him any more but seek the advice of a vet somehow as soon as you possibly can.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
The dose is 10mg/kg twice daily so the poster is probably close with dosage. This doesn't sound like something which is going to respond to a broad spectrum antibiotic though and I can only echo what everyone says about getting veterinary advice. I understand this is difficult because of location but if you can post on here then presumably you have comms to at least speak to a vet.

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
The dose is 10mg/kg twice daily so the poster is probably close with dosage. This doesn't sound like something which is going to respond to a broad spectrum antibiotic though and I can only echo what everyone says about getting veterinary advice. I understand this is difficult because of location but if you can post on here then presumably you have comms to at least speak to a vet.
You are right, Havoc, even if he is miles from a vet, there are some "speak to a vet" sites. Where did he get the antibiotics anyway? Fairly sure (here anyway) you need a prescription for them?

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
It is perfectly normal for people who live in remote areas of the world to have a first aid box crammed full of prescription drugs. In Australia you radio the medic and they tell you which drug to use. Not everybody lives on the doorstep of an NHS primary care facility.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Oh,, I feel for you, you must feel so helpless....

Is the third eyelid showing? Can you describe the 'motor skill' issues?

One other thing - be careful yourself. I know eye problems can indicate 'Bartonella' (cat scratch fever) which can be dangerous in humans, so please look after your own hygiene too.

Hoping things are improving

e

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I have been giving the cat antibiotics because it is the only option we have out here to cure her sickness. Their is no possible way to get the cat to a vet out here. Animals on the island either make it or they don't. I have stopped the antibiotics after 3 days of morning dosage. We keep a stock of antibiotics on the island because of the risk of infection out here.

The cat seems a little better but still has a loss of motor skills and the eye is still cloudy. The cat seems to be meowing a lot more. More of a howl than the typical meow.

I talked to some of the locals and they said he might have got sprayed in the face by a snake. Their is cobras and other animals within the area that spit venom when predators approach.

I hope that he snaps out of it but thought i would consult the advice.

I do not have the money to pay a professional for advice and hope that my cat will recover. It still seems to be eating regularly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I have been giving the cat antibiotics because it is the only option we have out here to cure her sickness. Their is no possible way to get the cat to a vet out here. Animals on the island either make it or they don't. I have stopped the antibiotics after 3 days of morning dosage. We keep a stock of antibiotics on the island because of the risk of infection out here.

The cat seems a little better but still has a loss of motor skills and the eye is still cloudy. The cat seems to be meowing a lot more. More of a howl than the typical meow.

I talked to some of the locals and they said he might have got sprayed in the face by a snake. Their is cobras and other animals within the area that spit venom when predators approach.

I hope that he snaps out of it but thought i would consult the advice.

I do not have the money to pay a professional for advice and hope that my cat will recover. It still seems to be eating regularly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.