Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat had a blackbird!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by flufffluff39, Jun 2, 2010.

1. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

He had a female blackbird in my front garden!! Tried to get it off him and he was hissing n spittin like a good un. Managed to distract him and grab it though was already dead :(

2. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Yeah mines had all sorts before,we've managed to get some off him and they flew away and one that was too young we took to the local "birdman" and he kept it alive.The worst time though was when he took bluetit chicks from a nest,we did our best but they all died,I was so angry with him but at the end of the day it's instinct,we can only try and save the ones we can:)

3. chrissie-h

chrissie-h PetForums Junior

Hope youre ok - it's horrible when this happens! Our cat brought one into the house one day while it was still alive, and the poor bird was freaking out trying to get out through the window pane - not nice at all. We let got it out in the end, and it flew off but I dont know if it would have survived. I know it is awful, but sometimes better for the bird if it is out of its misery quickly, as was the case with the one your cat had today. Hope your day's been better since! x

4. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

This is one of the down sides of having a cat. I had just the same a few weeks ago. The Blackbird played dead. Harley was still spitting feathers out by the time i flew down the stairs. I took the poor thing in the car drove 12 miles to a lady that takes in birds and a week later she rang me to say it survived and has flown away.
    I expect you cat is in bad books today. I know it's really up setting so i hope you will feel better soon.
    The tables have turned round for me has my Harley has gone walk about and now i'm hoping he can manage to feed himself ok until he manages to come home.

5. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

That is the downside of having a hunting animal. However, somewhere I heard that cats can only catch birds/animals that are not 100% healthy and alert.

It is called natural selection.

6. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

One of My Mother in laws cats, The male one, caught a Rabbit :eek: and got it through the Cat flap :eek6: and dropped it off at the front door.

7. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

One of my previous cats got a baby rabbit :)too.It was too young to survive without its mother so the lady in the pet shop took it and got it looked after by someones cat who had just had kittens.The rabbit survived thankfully

8. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I should be used to it by now but it still gets to me when the bird is screaching and you can't get hold of the cat :( Hes vicious when hes got something. Like a thing possessed!!! Hes always raiding nests and catching fledglings I managed to get a slow worm and a common lizard off him last year and they were ok. Put them back up the field where he found them :)

9. Philski

Philski PetForums Senior

One of the few downsides to cat ownership, for sure! Only one of my cats is a successful hunter, tiny little Napoleon, my petite little Mau. Birds and mice are regularly brought home (always alive, and he growls to tell Sinbad to stay away), most which I can live with; however, he has brought in about half a dozen full-sized pigeons, and that's always a horror story!

He always leaves behind a grisly mess, and take it from me, pigeons have a hell of a lot of feathers on them...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice