Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

My cat got lost...

Discussion in 'Lost and Found Cats' started by Milosh, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Milosh

Milosh PetForums Newbie

So my family adopted a young stray cat which came to our house.He was our first cat,it has been about 8 months since my previous dog died,which had me devastated.
    In a month I fell in love with this little guy!He was so fun to play with but,bad news,he disappeared on saturday.Now I gave it a lot of thinking,I kinf of am depressed,because I just can't imagine his little innocent face laying out there somewhere in the cold.He was an indoor/outdoor cat.Now,my parents didn't like him being in,they hated the amount of hair he left all around the house.That evening that he disappeared,I was at my friends house,and I got the news by my mom.I had my doubts that they drove him like far but at the end of the day I assume they are the ones that brought him in and stuff,I feel like they wouldn't do such a thing.On sunday,a day after, I searched a bit of the area.No sign.Monday,2 days after,I searched a bigger area with my friend.Still no sign.Today I had no time to search.I have no clue on what to do next.My dad thinks it's crazy to put flyers for an outdoor cat,and people keep saying he will come back,but I just don't want to rely on a chance of him coming back.If he doesn't come back,I will not be able to have any pets in a few years.I can't do this anymore.I just have an insanely hard time grieving.I figured I could post flyers secretly,cause my dad doesn't let me use his printer.I don't know how.I feel like I'm running out of time.Not doing anything while he is getting further and further from my house.The thing is,I don't think he takes my house as his territory,other tom cats are already here and they are feral and bigger than him,he probably can't take the territory.That's why I'm scared he doesn't want to come back cause of the territory thing.What's weird is that a female that he was playing with last few days disappeared the same day he did.At least I didn't see her around.Is it possible that they went away together to find a place to start a family?If they did,will he come back after he has finished?Please help me in this situation,I have no idea what to do,I am insanely depressed.

2. Stephanie Woolley

Stephanie Woolley PetForums Newbie

3. Stephanie Woolley

Stephanie Woolley PetForums Newbie

Has there been a lot of fireworks in the neighbourhood where you live? As often cats get very scared as do other wildlife from birds to foxes and dogs. they get hearing imbalances and run or hide and with fear they can't get back to their feet for a good while. There is the possibility it has gotten stuck in some garage or trapped in wire or something. So go looking for places where it has gotten stuck. Knock on doors and inform your neighbours that your cat is missing and ask them to check their gardens and garage. I hope you find him.

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

What country are you in @Milosh ?

If you are in the UK then one likely explanation is that the cat you thought was a stray is actually owned and was doing the house share thing some outdoor cats do where they spend time with their owner but also at other houses. It can sometimes seem like more than one family owns the cat as the cat spends time with each. If the cat is owned then the chances are that the owner is not letting it out for some reason. Perhaps it has been to the vet and the owner needs to keep it in for a while or maybe they have gone on holiday and the cat is in a cattery.

If the cat turns up again I suggest you attach a paper collar (a strip of paper around the neck like a collar with the free ends attached with tape so it can tear easily if the cat get entangles. Write on the collar could the owner contact you and provide a phone number. If the cat is owned the owner should call and you can find out where he lives. If the cat has a home and the owner is happy for you to spend time with the cat maybe you can do so away from your house more so your parents won't get annoyed by the cat fur.

Another thing to check is for a microchip. Take the cat to the vet to check. If it has an owner you will be able to find out who it is. It is possible that the cat has a home but has got lost and there is a very worried owner somewhere.

If you are not in the UK then let us know what country you are in as we can provide advice that may be more appropriate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice