Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat from hell...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lisa2701, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

Jackson Galaxy's Methods and my cat from hell. Yay or nah?

I've just discovered this programme and have watched a few and it's clear he really does love cats but as a newish cat mum I am curious as to what more experienced people think of his techniques and theories? I have been looking at his books but don't want to spend the money only to discover that his techniques aren't as good as they seem or something.

Just so aware that I used to think Caesar Milan was amazing but then got into dog training and the more I learned the more uncomfortable I became with his techniques. I'd hate for this to be the same thing.

Thoughts?

2. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

I must admit I like him and the programme but I'm aware I'm not as up on cat behaviour as I should be.

The only thing I've done is the playing and the blinking my Piper and I sit blinking at each other:Cat He's the one in my avatar.

Lisa2701 likes this.
  3. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

I'm much the same. I don't know enough about cat behaviour to make an educated assessment on him but so far I haven't seen anything I was uncomfortable with him doing and I think his theory of hunt, catch, kill, eat, groom, sleep makes perfect sense.

I'm not really having any issues with my two, other than scratch the wall paper despite having lots of scratchy things all around the house, but I still like watching and learning about the behaviours and I definitely think I'm going to catify my house more than it is in the form of selfs and areas up high they can access to beds etc.

I've seen him using the blinking but what is it supposed to signify? Is it a bonding thing?

4. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Oh goodness yes I forgot about the shelves etc. Mine can get on top of kitchen cupboards and also I have a high window on my stairs where they sit and threaten passing birds:)

Lisa2701 likes this.
  5. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

Aww my girl loves sitting watching the world and birds outside the windows. My two are only 7 months old at the moment and neither have found their way onto the top of the kitchen units. I plan on putting some beds up there for them and perhaps a little stepping stone type thing for them if they don't find their way up naturally.

I am thinking of putting some shelves up in the sittingroom, kitchen, hall way and my sons play room as they spend most of their time in those areas. Happily put a bed on top of my wardrobe should they manage to find their way up there.

I love some of the cat shelves you can buy but it's so expensive! I think I'll just get some cheap shelves and do some DIY to make it somewhere comfy to lie down. Lol

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I haven't looked at Jackson Galaxy's videos for years, but do recall there were times when I agreed with him and times that I didn't. I remember there were times when I felt some of his methods were a bit too aggressive for working with cats and not respectful of a cat's need to process information at their own pace.

Lisa2701 likes this.
  7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

The bits I've seen which put me off is where he tries to initiate the bad behaviour from the cat for the cameras and I really don't like it. I feel he sometimes puts himself in a cats face too much which most of them don't like and an aggressive cat will really dislike.

So all in all, I'm not a fan.

Lisa2701 and chillminx like this.
  8. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I very much dislike the show but I think he's often bang on with cat behaviour. I don't agree with him on everything but I agree with him on most things

Lisa2701 likes this.
  9. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

I think it's more a show about human behaviour than cats. There always seems to be some rather dodgy relationship that will be only saved By the cat behaving itself lol.
    I rather enjoyed it when I first found it but thought it became a bit samey but it can be useful, I think, for ideas if you have a cat (or partner:D)with issues. Got a bit like super nanny but without the naughty step.

Lisa2701 and chillminx like this.
  10. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

as I understand it the 'slow blinking' to a cat is like a reassuring smile that everything is OK and signifys "I love you" - when I do it with Missy she always gives me a slow blink in return:)

Personally I like Jackson and think that a lot of time he talks a lot of sense, but the programme is an American import and I think they must have a different attitude to their cats than we do with ours - to my mind they make the most basic mistakes !

Lisa2701 likes this.
  11. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

The slow blink is an action that conveys a non-threatening message - it tells them that you're not an aggressor and you're not interested in them. Direct eye contact is seen as a sign of aggression, the slow blink, wink or half-closed eyes are the opposite to that :)

Lisa2701 likes this.
  12. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

I'm not so sure about the program, but I love his YouTube channel and I learnt a lot from him. With looking him up on YouTube (not the my cat from hell episodes).

Citruspips and Lisa2701 like this.
  13. Lisa2701

Lisa2701 PetForums VIP

Very mixed response but to be honest I kinda expected that. I'll watch a few more episodes and make my mind up. I'm keen to read his books though. I quite like the whole catification and a lot of his territorial security theories sound to me (a novice) like they make sense. Lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice