Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my cat died today

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lola2010, May 3, 2011.

1. lola2010

lola2010 PetForums Newbie

hi, i am new here and desperately need some help in coping with the death of my cat. I got a call today from a lady who had seen my missing cat flyer and unfortunately she had run over lola and had taken her to the vet where she died. I am heart broken and cannot stop crying. She was beautiful. I called the vet and i have to pick her up tomorrow. I am missing her so much it is painful. How long will this feeling last? When i go and collect her tomorrow will she be in some sort of box or should i take something? I really want to look at her and say goodbye but i am scared that her injuries will be bad and it may cause more stress. Any advice would be so appreciated. I miss lola so much.

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I'm real sorry about this.. RIP Lola.. Obviously I can't say anything to take the pain away.. :(

Do you want to bring her home?

If your worried about it why don't you see if they will arrange for a cremation?

Or ring the vet in the morn and see what you need to take..

RIP Lola..
    And personally I dont think we ever get over a friend passing to soon.. There is always a place in your heart that aches for the lost loved ones.. Big hugs.. xxx

3. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

cant give any advice but big hugs hun i have lost a cat so know how hard it is x

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Im so sorry *bug hugs*
    Im not sure what to suggust x

5. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Hi, Sorry your first post is a sad one. This happened to us 18 month ago, a neighbour came and told us our wee Ollie had been hit by a car. I had to go and get him off the road. Its hard to tell what state your cat will be in as you have not seen her yet. Maybe a Male family member can pick your cat up from vets, if not be brave as no matter what state she,s in It will be painful for you. I would take a nice blanket or towel and a strong plastic bag for burial hopefully in a nice spot away in the Garden.

This is what I did with Ollie and if it makes any difference he looked peaceful just as he was sleeping. The pain me and OH had was not nice but we got over it with time, And The Lovely people on this site was a great comfort.

Be strong and keep us posted with your thoughts people on here will give good advice.

R.I.P you wee baby. Now at rainbow bridge. Run free.

6. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

cremation is a good idea and it dont cost too much then if you have to move anywhere you can allways take lola with you,
    i lost my pekingese 4 years ago and tbh i am still not over it hes was my little boy but then i allways think of the good times i had with him. and i know i will never forget him, which makes me feel a little bit better,i have also lost a cat to a car accident :( so i do know how you are feeling all i can say really is that it will get easier for you in time just think that you gave her a great life. sorry for your loss
    RIP lola

7. I'm so sorry for your loss. R.I.P

#7 My lil Babies, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  8. Nico0laGouldsmith

Nico0laGouldsmith PetForums VIP

It's heartbreaking to lose a pet! I know the feeling well, I go through phases of uncontrollable tears and then numb apathy to most things and then after a while I start to just think of the happy times. Granted I'll always miss them and I always say I'll never have any more pets but eventually I do. It isn't to replace them, but it's to provide happiness to another animal :)

Soon you'll be able to think back to the happy times, you might still feel a little choked up but just remember how much you loved her and she loved you more than anything in the world. You gave her a wonderful life and you've made some wonderful memories! Don't be sad you've lost her, be happy that you ever got to spend her life with her, I'm sure that's how she feels :)

Think of the good times and you'll soon start to feel better.

*thinking of you*

9. Nico0laGouldsmith

10. Emma-Jayne

Emma-Jayne PetForums VIP

I'm sorry for you loss. It's never easy to lose a member of the family.

Ask the vet about seeing her and ask what they recommend. If the injurys were severe they may recommend remembering her the way she was.

Again, I'm really sorry for your loss.

Emz xxx

11. lola2010

lola2010 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your kind words, it is nice to hear from people who know how i feel. I just cannot bare to think about lola at the moment because when i do i cry, its so painful. Nobody i know seems to understand how upsetting this is for me. I really want to bring her home to bury in the garden, as she loved it there but if she has been very badly injured i dont think i could face picking her up. I will call the vets in the morning. Thanks again, i am exhausted and drained from crying now, hopefully i will be able to function better tomorrow.

12. Nico0laGouldsmith

the vet will most likely have made her look okay but they may also wrap her up in a sheet or something for you, maybe you could take a sheet with you and then you don't have to see her but can still take her home to bury her. Ask him if you could just see her face if her face is okay and for him wrap her in a way that this can just be revealed if you do want to look. But just see what the vet thinks is best :)
    I personally found that crying helped. Just to sit and cry and think about them actually helped me but people grieve in different ways, you can always try to keep yourself as busy as possible until you find you can think about her.
    *thinking of you*
    good luck tomorrow sweety
    x x x x

13. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

So sorry for you loss Hun! you may never get over the loss of your baby! but in time the special and happy memories you both shares together will shine through and comfort you! such a hard time! HUGS Hun!

RIP! little baby x

14. Mollie M

Mollie M PetForums Newbie

I am so desperately sorry for the loss of your loved one. I have gone through this more times than I can mention, and there's no easy way lass. Over my 50 years of keeping cats it doesn't get easier and every death of my cats have been very traumatic, so I do know how you feel.

I'm sure your cat had a wonderful life with you. You obviously loved her very much, and I'm sure she loved you for the lovely life you gave her. All my cats are buried in my garden, as it was a place they all loved.

I hope you can come to terms very soon with your grief. :crying:

15. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Oh lola, im so so sorry xxxxx

Someone said earlier about taking a male, id do this as well, if you do want her near you and in your garden, perhaps a box xxxx

wrapped suki up in a towel and i also had box which we then put in the garden xxxx

Big hugs, love clare xxx

16. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Hi Lola, so sorry for your loss. We lost our little cat 'Piglet' last year. He died at home and we decided to bury him in the garden. We made a small flower bed over his grave and stocked it with brightly coloured flowers. It really helped us knowing he was just outside.

You all our sympathy for what you're gooing through.

17. Beckyjr37

Beckyjr37 PetForums Member

so sorry about Lola. I cried for a week when Portia was run over last November and I still get a tear in my eyes when I think of her now. She's buried in the garden next to our old cat Toppy and sometimes I will sit on the bench next to where she is buried and her sister (Lola) will come and sit next to me and we will just sit quietly for a while remembering her.

Things will get easier with time and you will be able to remember the wonderful times with her without feeling so sad.

18. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss..i have never been through this...but having lost very close relatives ..i can imagine how you feel.

All i can say to you is time is a great healer..i know everybody says that..but it really is.

Day by day the pain will lessen slightly until you are left with your happy memories of Lola...never forgotten but the hurt will fade over time

You will need to grieve for her...we are all here to offer you any support
    you need

RIP Lola...run free at the bridge little one xxxxx

Love Kelly xx

ps..i would give the vets a call today so you know what to expect when you pick her up x

19. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I'm so so sorry for your loss :( We lost Sooty last Thursday so I know exactly what you are going through.

I cry a lot but in between can't really feel much joy for things at the moment. I'm hoping this phase will pass soon. It has been getting a bit easier for each day that passes, but what has helped me the most is looking at all the pictures we have of him and the videos. Laughing at the memories that they conjure up.

If you want to talk just PM me :)
    x

20. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

Firstly I am so sorry for your loss. And RIP little one.

I am a vet nurse and I would never allow an owner to see a pet if it was badly injured and would cause upset, I would warn them its best not to. Ask the vet what they think, I sometimes think its best to remember them as they were.

Take a blanket, some nice toys she loved and ask the vets to wrap her in a blanket for you.

Then you can bury her as she is, blanket and all.

So sorry for your loss, sending lots of hugs to you and your family. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice