UK Pet Forums Forum banner

My cat died in my arms.

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  huckybuck 
#1 ·
I know it's early but I can't cope with my cats death, he died yesterday in my arms right after I came back from the vet. He was three years old.
His name was Garfield and he was the most amazing cat ever, he would literally communicate with everyone, unlike my other cat and my dad who isn't very fond of cats was also attached to him.
His death has completely left me feeling lonely and depressed, I can't stop crying and I don't know what to do. He was my first cat and I was very attached to him. I read that adopting a rescue cat makes you feel better but the thought of getting another cat makes me feel horrible because I don't want to go through this again, this has left me completely broken. I hate to admit this but I'm more sad over Garfield's death than I was at my grandparents, I loved them but my cats death is much more painful.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I am sorry that you lost your gorgeous boy. It is hard to lose a much loved pet. Allow yourself the time you need to grieve. Sending you a big hug. We are all here for you if you want to talk about your boy. In time you will be able to smile at your memories of him. Run free at Rainbow Bridge Garfield.

Viv xx

Guitar accessory Font Rectangle Handwriting Circle

#7 ·
I am sorry that you lost your gorgeous boy. It is hard to lose a much loved pet. Allow yourself the time you need to grieve. Sending you a big hug. We are all here for you if you want to talk about your boy. In time you will be able to smile at your memories of him. Run free at Rainbow Bridge Garfield.

Viv xx

View attachment 406129
Thank you, your reply means a lot to me ❤

#9 ·
I'm so sorry about your lovely boy. Our cats all mean the world to us and its very hard when we lose them, especially so young. Grief is very raw to begin with and it takes some people longer than others to come to terms with their cat's loss. You must do it at your own pace and, hopefully, some time in the future when you're ready, you'll feel able to give another cat a wonderful home. I'm sure Garfield would want you to do that. I found making a photo book helps me when I lose mine or having a little memorial in the garden if you have one or indoors. Take care and sweet dreams Garfield.

Handwriting Rectangle Font Blackboard Pattern

#13 ·
So sorry you lost your lovely boy. The same thing happened to me, cat was at the vet's at about 4pm (he was diabetic) and she said how pleased she was with the blood result and that it looked as tho' the condition was stabilising. Took him home (the same day) and fed him at six and about 15 minutes later he just collapsed and died. He was much older tho' than your boy. I lost one to CKD aged five and I always felt it was just so unfair (to both of us). Garfield looked adorable XX.

#15 ·
I'm so sorry to hear of the death of your beloved Garfield. Your pain is so raw at the minute as his death is so recent, and he was only a young cat at 3. Allow yourself to grieve, this is normal, our cats are part of the family, and we feel the pain of losing them a great deal. People who say "he was only a cat" don't have a clue about how much we love them, and how much we hurt when they're gone. They aren't "just a cat", they are part of us.

Take comfort in that you were with him at the end. He wasn't scared at a vets. He was with you, the person he loved and trusted the most. I truly believe our cats love us in their own way, and your presence would have comforted him. The last person he saw before he slipped away was a face of someone who loved him.

Allow yourself to grieve, I'm sending a big hug to you. x

#18 ·
I know exactly how you feel!

When I was 16 I lost my cat Kitty while on holiday. When I came back I found out and also found out my beautiful Nanny Alice had died as well. My grief for Kitty was overwhelming and I felt terribly guilty I didn’t feel the same for Nanny.

It takes time but with every minute that passes, every hour and day it does get a tiny bit easier to cope. One day you wake up, sometimes a year or more later and realise you have accepted their passing. It can still hurt terribly - I have moments now when I sob for Cinders who I lost 15 years ago. I also weep for Nanny who I adored and miss terribly. I realised I had only so much heart break I could cope with at one time when they both went together.

Take comfort that Garfield was sent to you to show you just how amazing cats can be and because of him you will be able to open your heart to other cats in the future.

RIP beautiful boy.

#19 ·
My cat died in my arms just two days ago, I feel the same way. 15 years I bonded with him, the last few months he was quite disabled so I would help him walk everywhere and hold him up while he ate food, drank water and even in the litterbox. He was so special to me and I'm sure I was to him as well, he spent 99% of his day in my arms or on my lap or next to me while I slept. I don't know what to now that he's gone. Everything reminds me of him and every hour or two I'm breaking down in tears and just can't function

#20 ·
Take comfort from the words on this thread. The grief you feel is because you loved your cat so much. It would be terribly sad if you didn’t feel this way about him. It will get easier as each day passes though it will never go away completely. Try to keep busy if you can it does help. RIP little one.