Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat died in a car accident

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Nini1996, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Nini1996

Nini1996 PetForums Newbie

hi all,
    Im currently in a lot of grief, crying, sulking, pinching myself, blaming everyone and most importantly myself for the death of my cat, Bambi.

I came home from work to be greeted by my cat Bambi. She’s so loving and affectionate. I was tired that day so put some cartoons on for her as she loves to watch them, and went upstairs to take a nap. I was meant to wake up at 8pm but didn’t. Anyways the next day I woke up. My sister was concerned about Bambi as she had went out at 10pm and hadn’t returned. Not the first time though so I wasn’t too concerned but we did call her prior. A few hours later our neighbours knocked the door with a box in their hand. It was Bambi. Lifeless, dried blood on her mouth. I died, I wanted to die. My mum tried to calm me but I couldn’t. I screamed and shouted and jumped up and down in shock. She died that night, run over and left on the pavement at around 10pm.

I didn’t say goodbye to her. She was all alone. I went straight to the vet in hopes they could revive her, but she was gone. Her soft and warm fur gone cold and hard, I had goosebumps even touching her. Her little face, lifeless. The vet said that she must’ve been hit so hard due to her brain injury that she would’ve not felt the pain. I really hope that’s the case as I can’t bear thinking of her slowly trying to reach us back home in pain. She was so close, yet so far. I just hate myself for this. I quit my job as I didn’t want to work that Sunday and felt like I could’ve spent more time with her. It breaks my heart. Part of me wishes this happened to me rather than her.

I have two other cats, but they’re not like Bambi. They’re not social, not intelligent like she was, not loving like she was, and they’re just not anything like her. They always fight with each other. But Bambi, she was different. She always showed so much love. She was a rare breed. She left such an impression on everyone who met her. She understood us humans. She didn’t care for the food, she cared for us. She would rub her face on me when I had my panic attacks, looking at me with her gorgeous big eyes, like everything will be okay. I won’t find a cat like her, ever. We rescued her, and not even a year and a half in and she’s gone. She changed our lives for the better. I shouldve appreciated her more when she was alive. I don’t know her breed either, but know she’s from Cyprus. I need to know if there are cats like her out there because I’ve had many cats, and never any like her. She’s so full of life and personality. She was meant to be here for a better life. I can’t take this. She deserved better. How can anyone deal with this??

Rest in paradise Bambi

upload_2019-1-16_1-49-30.jpeg

#1 Nini1996, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hello @Nini1996,
    I‘m very sorry for your horrible loss.
    It’s normal to feel guilty when a beloved cat dies, but she didn’t have the accident because you didn’t play with her. You rescued her and gave her a year and half of love and care. The grief is sharp now but it will dull down over time and you will manage to remember the lovely moment. It must be a consolation to you that the vet said she didn’t suffer.

MissMiloKitty and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. idris

idris absent without leave

im sorry for your loss. x

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very sorry for your loss :(

Of course, it’s normal to feel all these mixed emotions but allow yourself time to grieve and try to remember the good life you gave her.

Life is all about risk assessment and unfortunately, accidents do happen.

chillminx likes this.
  5. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss x

6. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Gutted for you and your loss. It’s horrific to go through this.

She sounds like she had a happy life with you - feeling cared for and loved.

Cats have no concept of how long they have lived etc so take comfort from this even though her life was shortened.

RIP dear girl.

7. Nini1996

The memories are haunting me. I see her everywhere. She was so small, only three years old but yet so clever and full of love. It breaks my heart, I never imagined that this would happen. To my little angel. I hope that that’s the case, because the pain is unbearable right now

ChaosCat likes this.
  8. Nini1996

It really is the most horrible feeling in the world. If only I could turn back time.
    She did, she slowly but gradually started gaining trust from us. It hurts because we loved her so much and she was still so young. I want to take back the times I shouted at her out of frustration. She didn’t deserve that. I would say she deserved the world but the world didn’t deserve her. There’s a big emptiness without her. I hope I’ll meet her again, that’s the only thing I’d ever wish for.

Thank you for your words

huckybuck likes this.
  9. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I'm so sorry. She was a beautiful girl.

Nini1996 likes this.
  10. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

I am sorry for your loss.

Truly.

Can you maybe do something to help other cats in need in memory of her?

11. Nini1996

She was wasn’t she ❤️

12. Nini1996

I appreciate that.
    I will definetely try and think of something. She would’ve wanted me to help others. She bought me a stray cat once herself who we rescued after not finding his owners. He was incredibly thin and he’s still with us now. She was a little hero and I’ll try and follow her footsteps in the best way I can.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  13. Nini1996

I miss her terribly. She taught me so much about life. She was a good girl. As awful as that sounds it taught me a lesson not to let the cats out when it’s dark. No matter how little cars there are, it can be risky. My cats always beg to go out at night and most times we let them and call them back after half an hour, but I’ll try and work on it now.

#13 Nini1996, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    MissMiloKitty likes this.
  14. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

I believe we meet on purpose and she came to you as a mentor , not just a pet and companion, you felt how differentvand special she was, the length of life is not as much as what it means.

Her time with you was a precious gift and you can take it forward, she would not want you to be miserable or blame yourself.

Let her loving spirit live in your affection and care for those cats that need it now.

She runs free now and what you cannot give her you can give to others in many ways... so much to do.

15. Nini1996

I’m having tears in my eyes as I read this. She really was a gift. A true blessing. I wish she stayed longer because of this awful emptiness without her. But like you said, I’ll focus on bettering myself and helping others who need it now. Hopefully one day in another life I’ll see her again, happy and healthy and just as beautiful as she always was.

16. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

Sorry for your terrible loss. It's not fair. Bambi was a beauty. RIP Bambi x

Nini1996 likes this.
  17. Brambles the cat

Brambles the cat PetForums Senior

So sorry for your loss RIP BAMBI I hate reading these sad stories so upsetting I hope you do manage to feel a bit better soon. I know it's not easy .

Nini1996 likes this.
  18. Fred&KiKi

Fred&KiKi PetForums Member

I am so sorry for your loss! It's heart breaking when the ones we love leave us (be it human or furry), there was nothing you could have done and you loved your fur baby just enough hun, never think you could have done more or you will never find peace. We can all do more it doesn't mean they would have been happier or more loved! She loved you and you her so thats all that matters, and a few years of pure love trumps living years without it! you gave her the best life take comfort in that! i hope you feel better soon and you can remember the happy loving memories and smile about her xxx

Nini1996 likes this.
  19. Nini1996

Thank you, I needed to hear that ❤️

20. Mary Kristiana

Mary Kristiana PetForums Newbie

So sad to hear it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice