Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my cat died in a car accident

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by diesel2007, May 5, 2010.

1. diesel2007

diesel2007 PetForums Newbie

im going crazy, we found our cat dead by the side of the road. we took him to a vet who said he had been hit by a car and had a broken pelvis, blood coming out of his mouth and ruptured lungs. Im trying to figure out what happened, the vet said he died quickly and did not suffer. Could this be true or is he just trying to make me feel better. I dread to think what happened to my cat, he wasnt lying in the road or on the pavement but on the edge of a lawn. Did he walk there himself and then collapse or did someone put him there? I sob at the thought of him struggling along, suffering in his last moments. just rips me up inside. I hope he did die quickly, the thought of him suffering jus kills me. Can anyone help me understand what he went through?

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

So sorry for the loss of your beautiful cat :( Im sure he did'nt suffer perhaps the motorist or a passerby stoped to check him & moved him there thinking it may have been his home x

3. jen24

jen24 Banned

Our cat Fuzz died last year just before christmas. she was hit by a car. we didnt have time to get the vet round (it was just past midnight) and i had to sit stroking her for about 3 minutes untill she died. it sounds like your cat had the same injuries as fuzz, im so sorry, its awful to lose a pet that way. he could possibly have walked to the grass verge, or maybe someone carried him there, i dont know, but at least he isnt in any pain now. i know thats not very reasuring, but the pain of the loss does get easier in time.

oh and to answer your question, he would have been in shock, and so he wouldnt have felt anything. xxx

4. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

I'm so very sorry your loss :(
    Of course I can't really tell you what may have happened, but one thing I know is that if he would have been alive and able to walk somewhere, he would have looked for somewhere to hide. I don't think the vet has told you anything that wasn't true and I'm sure if he said he didn't suffer, this is true.
    I think someone picked him up and put him by the side of the road.
    Again, I'm so sorry this happened.

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I cannot help you understand what he went through, I am not sure anyone can. However, with a broken pelvis I doubt that he would have crawled anywhere. It is more likely that a kind soul put him there.

But I am really, really sorry for your loss. :( Sleep well little cat.

#5 hobbs2004, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  6. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Aww sweetie i went through this several years ago with my cat 'Hawk', we found him at our front door dead. It has taken me several years to stop blaming myself as i was the one who let him out and went for a lay down as i was pregnant. My OH found him when he came home.

I researched the reactions of cats and it is said that they have the chicken reaction, when you kill a chicken by removing its head it will still run for a few seconds because of the muscles and nerves closing down. (sorry to be graphic but it is the only thing that helped me to come to terms with Hawk)
    I believe this happened with Hawk and he just ran but was already dying or dead.

You have to stop thinking like that, with those injuries i am sure your cat wouldn't have lived for many seconds if at all, just like Hawk.

So sorry for your loss. RIP little one. X

Tabitha26 likes this.
  7. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I think its most likely that someone out walking moved him out of the road, alot of people will do that, so that the owner can actually find them.
    So sorry for your loss, I'm sure he wouldnt have suffered.

*Heidi*

8. diesel2007

thank you, im just sitting here crying my eyes... i miss him so much x

9. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

Oh God, I'm so sorry! I lost a cat in the same way exactly 9 years ago last Sunday. At the time I too agonised over whether he had suffered at the last moment. There were no marks on him at all, just a bit of blood by his mouth; a kind passer-by had picked him up off the road and took him to a nearby home for the elderly. They put him in a box and called us - I'll never forget that phone call. When I went to pick him up, he was simply curled up inside the box as if he was sleeping and I didn't believe he was dead until it was confirmed by the vet. He now sleeps in our garden under a pear tree we planted for him.

From your description, I think your vet is probably right in saying that he passed away quickly. I know it's hard but try not to think of those last moments - they'll just start to harbour in your mind as guilt and anger towards yourself. Grieve for him by all means, but wondering 'what if' will only make the pain of his death more acute and prolonged than it should be.

Think of the happy times you've had together; he's still there in your heart, he always will be.

#9 shamykebab, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  10. francham

francham PetForums Newbie

The same thing happened to my Simba last October, I let her out when I got in from work, then about an hour later I had 3 missed calls from my vets, she had been hit by a car and left. The person whos house it happened outside of found her and took her to the vets but it was too late. I will always blame myself because I let her out, I feel like I let her down that I wasnt there for her when she needed me. But thats what most of us are like because they arent just pets to us they are our babies. The vet advised against me seeing herwith her injuries, my OH went in to collect her and I held her wrapped up in her blanky for a few hours then we buried her in the garden. Its still gut wrenching and I'll miss her always. I have to believe the vet when he said she wouldnt have felt a thing and that she died instantly. Still makes me feel sick though 7 months on.

11. diesel2007

im sorry for your loss also.... people who havnt got a pet dont understand our pain. thank you for your support.... it does help x

12. diesel2007

Im sorry to hear about your loss, you remember even 9 years later. i buried diesel in our garden too, he was pure white, planted two white flowering plants to mark his grave. He must have been hit at night, but how can you NOT see a white cat with reflective collar? i hope he did pass away quickly. thank you for your reassuring words. i will bear in mind what you have said.

13. Becksie

Becksie PetForums Junior

I am so sorry, I know exactly how you feel, Charlie my cat who is on my profile was knocked over and left at the side of the road, a kind gardener from the nursing home found him and rang me to collect him. A horrible feeling I never to experience again.

14. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I am sorry. It has happened to me too, more than once. I know how much it hurts.

Liz

15. Jo75

Jo75 PetForums Junior

I am so sorry. It is lovely that you have planted white flowers for him, they will be a beautiful reminder.
    Jo

16. blownaway

blownaway PetForums Newbie

Im so sorry for your loss...we lost our little Gizmo earlier this year after he got hit by a car...I still have nightmares about it.
    Hugs

17. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

So very sorry to hear about your cat, im sure the vet has told you the right thing and that someone moved him off the road.

We lost a 2year old cat on Dec 13th 97, i still remember it clear as day, my sisters friend saw it happen and the person drove off, he was a ginger tom cat called Toffee, she ran down to the house to tell us and so my mum went up with a towel and got him from the road, the side of his face wasnt a pretty sight, when mum got him down he was still breathing, but only for a few minutes.

Its the worst thing in the world to loose a pet, cos like someone said....they arnt really pets, they are part of the family. Just over 13 years on and i still cry about it if i think about it. It will get easier, like others have said....dont blame yourself, dont worry about him anymore...he is at peace now, not suffering. Im sure he had a very happy life with you.

We're all here if you need us, just post away....most if not all people here will understand and support you

18. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

My 2 cats have been missing for over 5 years now and I dread to think whether they have come to the same fate as yours did. Although I live in countryside which doesn't have many roads, just lanes. So there is still hope.

Sorry to hear about your kitty though. You can't blame yourself or the driver, it's just a common mistake cat's make when trying to get from one side to the other. Have you posted a few pics of him on the rainbow bridge post?

19. Bengal.lover

Bengal.lover PetForums Newbie

So sorry to hear of your loss :( Our cat got run over last October was such a shock a nice family called to say they'd found him and brought him round. He looked untouched :( so very sad and really miss him.

I hope ur ok. Im sure your cat didnt suffer I got told it was probably the shock that may have killed him.

:(

20. lindabombinda

lindabombinda PetForums Newbie

Hi...this is the first time I have ever written on one of these things but I feel so sad that I don't know what else to do...:(
    My cat BeigeJing (Jing) was almost 2 and I had him from 5 weeks old. He stayed in from then until he was about 6 months and then started going out. At first he wasn't keen and stayed sat behind our garden fence!:) Eventually though he started venturing out and he'd go out in the day and be waiting for me when I came home. He'd stay in during the night. Just over a year after I got him I moved into a flat and took him with me - he was my best friend! I kept him in for about a month. He was always sat on the window ledges looking out....! Eventually, I let him out again. The flat is on a main road but it has a private car park to the front and a residential area behind with a large park - I was sure (I hoped :() he'd go there - and he seemed to. At the flat he tended to be out at night and in during the day. I'd go to work and when I got home he'd be on my bed in the same spot I left him that morning - lazy devil. We'd have cuddles and play time (fives) and I'd give him his dinner..often defrosted prawns, Whiskas 'Oh so' and biscuits...He'd go out about 10pm and be there again when I got up in the morning. Some mornings he wasn't back but I'd go to work and he was there when I got home. This went on for 9 months...but my life changed last Friday! I was going away for the weekend but my flat mate was in for most of it. I 'de-fleaed' Jing friday tea time and put him out about 7pm and went. Saturday afternoon when my flat mate returned Jing wasn't there.....nor was he back all Saturday night or Sunday afternoon when I got home. Sunday tea time I went out looking for him on the park and a neighbour came out to tell me that she was sorry but he was dead :(! She said he was hit by a car Saturday. He had been moved and put in a bin (RSPCA wouldn't go out apparantly). My boyfriend looked and it was him...the right side of his face was badly damaged but the rest of him was ok. I took him home, took him out of the black bag, and wrapped him in his blankets with the nice side up...he looked asleep...like I'd seen him many times before! He was taken to the vets for cremation. I AM ABSOLUTELY GUTTED!!! I cannot describe how sad I feel and I can't stop blaming myself....'what if I chose to leave him in that Friday night' (as I often did if I was away overnight - but the weather was nice!)..'was it because of the flea repellent'....'why was he on the road' (I never saw him on the road or that side of the car park!!!)....'which way was he hit?'...'who moved him'?..'who hit him'...'was he really hit by a car?'....'did he die straight away'...'if I was there in the morning to let him in would he have wandered on the road..?'...etc etc....I tell myself it's irrational but I can't stop! I don't really know why I'm writing on here perhaps for someone to help me understand....?!!?!?!? He was the most amazing cat ever and so young...R.I.P BeigeJing...you'll be missed little man!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice