Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat cries all the time!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Szuzies, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Szuzies

Szuzies PetForums Newbie

I rescued a stray five months ago. She’s a very lovely tame and loving girl. I took her to the vet for a checkup, got her her shorts and got her neutered. She’s gotten so accustomed to being in the house she barely leaves which I like cause that means less vermin and dead birds (ugh).
    It’s not my first cat so I’m fairly accustomed to how they work :p
    Anyway the problem is she meows incessantly!!! I’m pretty sure she’s healthy, eats, drinks, sleeps, goes to the toilet normally. I play with her twice a day, and feed her on a schedule. Regardless, every single morning she wakes up early 5-6am and cries without stopping. I would get up to her at that time since friends who have an early work schedule usually feed and let her out, but sometimes she doesn’t want to go out and just continues to cry incessantly. I’ve tried ignoring her but she can go on for literally an hours straight. I’ve housemates who are starting to get annoyed at her waking them and bothering them non stop.
    But her crying doesn’t stop there. Some days even if we play, I feed her, I’ve to get on with my work and she’ll follow me around crying the entire day. For no other reason that no either pet her or play because usually when I do either she stops.
    It’s really disrupting everyone’s schedule, and everyone’s starting to get annoyed at her and me for not being able to manage her.

Any tips?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Szuzies and welcome :)

The usual advice of the so-called professional cat experts is to ignore a cat who miaows constantly and the cat will eventually stop. But I have not found that to be the case. In fact I've found the opposite to be the case.

Additionally there are certain breeds of cat e.g. Siamese, who are naturally very talkative, and nothing will change that, it is just a natural part of their behaviour. Perhaps your kitten is part Siamese...? Or is she a moggy?

If the vet has ruled out the crying being due to a health problem, next it is important to rule out mild chronic hunger as a cause of the crying. The fact kitty hangs around after being fed, still crying, could be significant. How many times a day is she fed ? And how many grams a day in total? Is it wet food or dry? Which makes of food ?

A kitten of her age should be allowed to eat as much wet food as she wants. She has a lot of growing to do. I feed my cats and kittens on a schedule as you do, and for a kitten of her age it would be 5 set meals a day. Supper at bedtime would be the last meal of the day. At the age of 5 mths I would be feeding a kitten between 350 grams and 450 grams of wet food a day (no dry food at all) .

Cats are crepuscular (most active at dawn and dusk) so it is understandable your kitten is wide awake and hungry at 5 am as that's instinctively the time she would be out hunting. As she is becoming a nuisance to your housemates at that time of day I suggest you buying an auto-feeder and putting a good size meal of wet food in it, timed to open around 4 am just before she wakes up. Then she would have her next meal when you get up.

But it is also important that one of the early riser housemates finds a few minutes to acknowledge your kitten by paying her attention. A few minutes of focused attention, stroking her, or talking to her gently, should surely be possible in the early mornings?

When your housemates go out early and the house is quiet, it's possible your kitten feels lonely and abandoned - can she can get into your bedroom for your company? Or are you up and about before the housemates leave?

I found with my cat, that stopping what I was doing for a minute whenever she cried for attention worked much better than ignoring her. I gave her reassurance, with calm stroking, talking softly to her etc.

I appreciate it means stopping a lot to do this, and it may sound counterproductive, counter-intuitive and time consuming, but actually it was a good investment of time. What happened over a period of time is my cat became more confident and less needy, as a direct result of my taking time to reassure her when she needed it. It was as though she learned from my reaction that I would always be available for her when she needed me and therefore she no longer felt the need to cry all the time.

There are still times when she cries for attention when I'm right in the middle of something and can't stop to fuss her. So then I speak to her, explaining to her I can't stop, but will give her some attention later. And in fact she seems to understand my intention (if not my words,LOL) and stops crying! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice