Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat bites me but not my husband

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lulabel, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Lulabel

Lulabel PetForums Newbie

Hi.
    We rescued a male cat almost 2 years ago and for at least the last year he sinks his teeth into me when I stroke him. He's fine for a while and he purrs then suddenly he attacks. I can understand he might have had enough but it only happens to me. He very rarely bites my husband.
    We know he was mistreated as a kitten but we don't know how or who by. I'm wondering if it was by a woman.
    He's been diagnosed with acute mycoplasma and heart disease. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.
    We adore him. We play with him, stroke him, give him treats, comb him. He isn't a lap cat but today he sat on my husbands lap for about 10 minutes which is so unusual. About an hour later I gave him a comb which he usually loves but he really went for me. Claws and teeth wrapped around my hand.
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    I'm praying someone has an answer. We are ready to start a family and I'm scared he could bite a child.

Please help us.

#1 Lulabel, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

All I can suggest is to handle him very little. Let him come to you, only as and when he wants to, and then be the first to move away (ie before he goes for you!). Maybe very gradually he'll come to realise how much he appreciates your attention.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice