UK Pet Forums Forum banner

My cat ate cling film....

9K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  Maurey 
#1 ·
Hey. So I've just noticed today that my kitten had been pooping...cling film....twice. I called the vet straight away and asked if there was anything to worry about and was advised to keep watching him as he wasn't choking but now I am worried what if the cling film caused a partial blockage in his belly? He does not have any symptoms apart from the diarrhea which had been ongoing for a few days due to a diet change- or maybe the cling film? I am feeling a a bit worried now... Did this happen to anyone else before?

#2 ·
Hopefully the cling film he has eaten will pass safely through his intestines without a problem. The signs are good if he has already passed two lots already. If he is eating normally and pooing regularly it is reassuring. I would just keep checking his poos and watching for any signs of him being unwell or in discomfort.

How did he get hold of clingfilm? Has he been raiding the bins? :eek:

#3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply- you’re always putting me at ease. I think it was my fault as I have caught him playing with one a few days ago and he didn’t want to let go when I tried to take it off him. I still took it but it turns out there was more... Since yesterday he is on Royal Canin Sensitivity Control to clear the diarrhea which resulted after I have him Animonda Carny so I am waiting to see.... Again, thank you so much!

#4 ·
Update: The RC Sensitivity Control is not working- kitten still having watery diarrhea. The vet recommended the RC Gastro but looking at the ingredients I am terrified and I don’t know what to do. Should I try to give it to him or introduce Granatapet Poultry?

The ingredients in RC Gastro are poultry by-products, chicken meat, maize flour, pork blood products, corn starch mixture, sunflower oil refined, fish oil, minerals, powdercellulose, yeasts and part thereof, caramelised sugars, marigold extract (source of lutein). Highly digestible ingredients

What is your opinion?

#5 ·
@ktyvasilescu - has he passed any more pieces of cling film? I am wondering if the diarrhoea could be due to the clingfilm in his intestines. Did the diarrhoea start before or after the clingfilm?

Normally I would say to put him on a bland home cooked diet to rest his bowel for a few days. This could be chicken legs/thighs/drumsticks or poached white fish. Then when he passes a formed stool you gradually transfer him back to wet food. The bland diet slows down peristalsis, which is how the bowel gets rested but if there is a chance any cling film is left in his bowel, it is best if it is out of his system a.s.a.p.

Maybe you should switch him the RC Gastro for a couple of days and if there is still no improvement then switch him to the bland diet, as above.

Note the bland diet is plain fish or chicken, no rice or anything added. And that's all he should have, no cat milk, no treats, no dry food. Just chicken or fish and water to drink

#6 ·
I think the cling film is completely out as he did not have any symptoms to indicate he was not well. The diarrhea started after the Animonda Carny, one day before I've seen the cling film in the poo... I think it is diet related as he has had a sensitive tummy since we got him a month ago and his stool test came back negative as well. I am just so worried his system is completely upside down as he had the Carny then 2 days boiled chicken, then the vet said boiled chicken is not nutritionally enough so put him on RCSC but no improvement after 4 days and now they suggested the gastro one He is only 5 months. I only wish there was one food to agree with his tummy I have also bought some Protexin Synbiotic hoping it will help him but I have only started it yesterday so can't tell if it's working. Thank you again for answering my questions. I appreciate it very much.

#7 · (Edited)
The chicken diet is fine for a few days and then once he passes a formed stool you start to transfer him to cat food gradually.

You can feed plain meat (e,g, chicken) for longer than a few days if you want to, but you would need to add a 'completer' to it (with the right amounts of vitamins & minerals) Felini Complete is a good one to use as it contains no animal or vegetable ingredients and is therefore safe for cats who may have food allergies. This make is OK for adding to cooked meat. No other additive is required.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860

EDIT: has your kitten had his stool samples tested at the lab? Sorry if you already said in a previous post and I missed it. :)

#9 ·
If you are thinking of keeping him for quite a while on a home cooked diet + a completer, it will be good to add other meats into his diet so he is getting some variety. e.g. turkey, lamb, beef, pork. All of these can be be bought as mince or chunks and cooked in the oven in a casserole dish to maximise flavour and nutrients.

The Felini Complete should only be added to cooked meat once it has cooled down to room temperature. I always add the Felini to a day's worth of meals, at a time, not to the whole lot at once.

#11 ·
Update: RC Gastro not working either...

We have been on this since Monday with no improvements. I have requested the stool results to see what exactly he was tested for and as I can see Tritrichomonas was not tested hence I will test him for this the upcoming week- this is the last thing coming in my mind as regardless what I give him there are no improvements in his stool but apart from that he is bright and would eat non stop if he could.

I just want to cry... I cannot understand what is wrong with him and I don't him to get worse...I understand that the antibiotic given to treat Tritrichomonas has quite a lot of side effects which is making me even more worried but I wouldn't want to leave him untreated either and wait for I don't know how long for the diarrhoea to clear up on its own...It's a nightmare. :(:(:(

#12 ·
How old is your kitten? If he were to be diagnosed with Tritrichomonas Foetus (TF) it is possible the vet wouldn't prescribe the required antibiotic because of the kitten's and possible side effects. I know several cases of adult cats being successfully treated without side effects but I don't know of any kittens who've been treated.

As the RC Gastro food is not helping, I suggest you move him to a home cooked diet + completer. As I may have mentioned, I have had to do this with one of my cats as I could not get her food allergies under control on a cat food diet.

#13 ·
Hi chillminx! He is 5 months now but when I took him he was a bit on the underweight side. He is gaining weight though last time the vet weighted him he had 1.7 kg which was 4 weeks ago so I am sure now he is over the 2 kg mark.

I wanted to wait a little bit more and see if the RC would make things any better just because I thought I didn’t give it enough time to work.

The completer arrived a few days ago so we will move onto that for now. What foods is your cat eating now?

#14 ·
Hi chillminx! He is 5 months now but when I took him he was a bit on the underweight side. He is gaining weight though last time the vet weighted him he had 1.7 kg which was 4 weeks ago so I am sure now he is over the 2 kg mark.
I wanted to wait a little bit more and see if the RC would make things any better just because I thought I didn't give it enough time to work.
The completer arrived a few days ago so we will move onto that for now. What foods is your cat eating now?
Bless him, he is still quite small if only just over 2 kg at 5 months old. Has he always been a small kitten since you got him?

If the RC food was going to help you should've seen first signs of improvement within a couple of days, and then continued improvement from then on.

My girl is eating beef, lamb, rabbit and kangaroo meat + occasionally a little white fish.

#16 ·
He was only 1.4kg on 25th May when we got him... :( So he was quite tiny for his age but we are giving him as much food as he wants and he is putting on weight which is good especially with the ongoing diarrhea.

Is she eating only home cooked meat?
About 90% of her diet is now home-cooked meat (or fish) But maybe once every couple of days I give her a pouch of single protein beef or lamb.

#18 · (Edited)
I'll start him on this diet from tomorrow. Do you know by any chance if the quantities for the Felini complete are the same for kittens as well?

Thanks again for your help:)
I think as he is 5 months old it would be OK to give him the amount for adults. I have noticed in looking at cat food ingredients that kitten foods usually contain the same amounts of additives (vits and minerals) as the adult foods. It is usually the protein content and the fat content in the foods that may differ slightly.

But you could contact Zooplus using the form on their website and ask them. They are very good at replying promptly when they have asked the manufacturer.

#19 ·
Hi, quick update. Nikki has tested positive for Tritrichomonas.

We have now ordered the RDZ from the lab and awaiting to start the treatment. I will write a new post after we get past this unlucky experience and hopefully I can help others who are going through the same issue with their little ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.