Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Cat and his Health

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by essexmat, Jun 21, 2010.

1. essexmat

essexmat PetForums Junior

Afternoon everyone

I have not posted for quite a while as I have been beside myself with worry about one of my cats, Spuddy. I have 2 cats, the other one being Whiskey.

Spuddy for the last month or so has been drinking a lot so the family took him to the vet and his bloods came back all clear apart from a problem, albeit the vet said nothing alarming just yet with pottasium levels.

Anyway, the last 2 weeks or so we have noticed that he has lost a bit of weight as his collar is becoming very loose although he is still eating, his nose is still wet and he is still purring but he is sleeping a bit more than normal and generally not like he was although he is in no way suffering.

Spuddy was taken overnight for a urine test the other day and I am waiting for the results of these which should be this week. The one consolation is I noticed his behaviour change early so whatever it is hopefully it has been caught early enough - on the other hand it is my nature to expect the worst as I am generally a negative person and suffer with depression - I have even taken today off work sick to be with him even though I know I should just get on with things.

My other cat, Whisky knows something is wrong as he is acting funny and when his brother was in hospital he roamed the house looking for him.

I have a horrible feeling it is something like cancer but bloods would have shown that wouldn't they? Maybe it is the start of kidney problems as I know cats are prone to this in their older age - I am beside myself with worry as I don't want to lose my baby even though nothing is known yet.

I know should the outcome be the worst I have to follow the vets advice, I will not watch him suffer if the prognosis is bad but I also hope he can be treated - I guess I am thinking too far ahead at the moment.

Sorry for the ramble I just thought I would post up how I am feeling at the moment as he means the world to me - his personality, his affection etc.

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Did they do a thyroid test? :(

3. essexmat

I am not too sure to be honest, I need to check everything up I have just been a bit of a mess the last few weeks. All I know is the vet said the blodds, bar pottasium levels were clear but the urin something to do with protein but waiting for full results.

4. Dally Banjo

I would give them a quick ring & ask if they did the thyroid, Simba had his removed last year but before the op had to have a pottasium liquid, I could'nt get the huge pills in him :rolleyes: Hopefully it will be something & nothing, how old is he?

5. essexmat

I am due to speak to the vet at the cat hospital tomorrow anyway so will chat with him then - at the mo Spuddy is in the garden relaxing with his brother!

Hopefully it will be nothing, or at least treatable!

Many thanks

P.S He is 12 years old

6. Dally Banjo

I bet its his thyroid in which case easy fixed :thumbup: Simba is like a new cat since haveing his removed :D Good luck for tomorrow let us know how you get on :)

7. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

I completely understand excessive worry without just cause! I am the world's biggest worrier! I always think that if i think the worst, then chances are the outcome will be better. I have felt this way ever since i went into see my neurologist with a positive attitude and got some bad news. As you righly said you don't know much at this stage, it's just a waiting game. I wish i could be of more help but i just wanted to let you know that your not alone in your excessive worry or negativity. Hope your little mite is ok and i will be thinking of you both.

8. Dally Banjo

Any news :(

9. essexmat

Hi all, thought I would just pop on to see if anyone had posted.

No news yet, and they do say no news is good news, right? The vet leading Spuddys case was not available so I did not want to chase too much but will want to know something by the end of the week.

He has gone on one of his wanders, he does this, 4-5 hours then strolls back at stupid o'clock but I hope he isn't seriously ill as I can already see my other cat Whisky 'on edge' when he is not around.

Anyone who says they are not a worry doesn't have pets - to me I treat them like my kids and definately part of the family and constantly worry about them both even when I am at work!

10. Dally Banjo

Fingers crossed then let us know what the vet recons :)

11. LisaLQ

LisaLQ PetForums Senior

Thirst and weight loss are also a sign of diabetes (at least they are in humans and other animals - I'd ask the vet), but I'm guessing they can test for that without having to send anything away as it's a simple dipstick test usually.

12. essexmat

He has been tested for diabetes and it came back all clear - initially that is what I thought it was as he was a big cat always eating and drinking.

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

When are you hearing back from the urine analysis? Was the potassium high or low? Did you say that your cat wees a lot or not enough?

14. essexmat

Good morning everyone

Well, I have just got off the phone to the vet, half an hour speaking about Spuddy and it is, at the moment, positive news. :thumbup:

The urine culture came back negative and the protein levels in his urine were 0.7. Vet said they were supposed to be around 0.5 but kidney disease is only ever present if the levels are over 1.0 so hopefully CRF has been ruled out.

The vet is speaking to the senior vet on Monday and will then probably ask for Spuddy to come back and have repeat tests done to get a clearer picture plus decide if scans are worthwhile as I mentioned I was worried it could be a form of cancer although th evet said some cancers would show in the bloods which were negative.

I did ask why he had lost weight and was still drinking a lot but they don't know themselves and will delve deeper next week but for now she has reassured me not to worry but if I am overly worried to bring him in.

So, we are back to the waiting game but for now it has been good news! :)

15. Dally Banjo

So far so good then hope it contiunes :) I hate waiting for vets thoughts & results to always seems to take ages :rolleyes:

16. essexmat

Hi all

Just a quick post

I went to the vet to discuss Spuddy this morning and was shown his results - nothing really showing so the next step tomorrow is an ultrasound the cat hospital in Wanstead and re-testing of proteins etc.

Th ultrasound is to identify if there are any problems with is organs - kidneys, liver etc and the poor sod has to be shaved on his abdomen so will look like a right baldy cat!

Still, these things need to be done I suppose

The drama continues....

17. Dally Banjo

Good luck for tomorrow let us know how Spuddy gets on. At least he will bea a bit cooler with his shaved area ;)

18. essexmat

Well Spuddy is home, his abdomen is shaved and part of his side is shaved - poor thing. On the way home in the car in his box he wee wee'd and poo poo'ed in his box :(

We got him in and because he done what he done he was soaked so ha to clean him and dry him but he did eat a whole tin of food - he was famished as he had not eaten since 10am!

He is now washing in the garden with his brother and will no doubt go wandering until the early hours.

Results of the ultrsound hopefully tomorrow.

Mat

19. Dally Banjo

Poor you more waiting :(

20. dharma66

dharma66 PetForums Senior

Fingers crossed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice