Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cat always yowls to go outside

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Mahmoud Elmasry, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Mahmoud Elmasry

Mahmoud Elmasry PetForums Newbie

As the title says, my cat is very vocal and loud and he sounds like screaming more than yowling at this point
    no matter how much i let him out he either yowls as soon as he's home or he sleeps and then yowls when he wakes up.
    At first I thought he just wanted to mate so i got a female cat and they mated, but he still yowled to get out even though she's right next to him.
    I've also tried not letting him out for a month and the yowling never stopped, he doesn't like toys anymore and he prefers to go out , also tried giving him a spot in front of a window but he destroyed the wire mesh and then stopped going to the window after.
    He was a stray cat, his owners let him go but The vets say he lived in the streets for a month and now he really wants to go back.
    also today I took him to a park for around 2 hours and he was very happy, but when I took him to the car for the first time ever he aggressively kicked me and tore my sweatshirt.
    at that point I scruffed him and it was obvious that it either hurt or scared him to be scruffed and I don't know if it was a good idea to punish bad behavior by scruffing but I figured if I let him go after he kicked me he would know that kicking is the way to be let down.
    I live in an apartment and I don't know if i should just let him go out unsupervised until he comes back or if that's a bad idea, and also if I do that he will for sure be covered in fleas.
    Sorry for the long question but I really hate seeing him sad and yowling all the time to be let out and it breaks my heart because it makes me feel like I'm not treating him right.

#1 Mahmoud Elmasry, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Stop treating him badly because he’s only behaving like a scared cat. I think you know, deep down, that scruffing him was very wrong.

I couldn’t read and run after reading that bit, but I’m sure a more knowledgeable cat person will be on to give you good advice.

3. Mahmoud Elmasry

I'm sorry but I just had to act quickly and the first thing that came to mind was scruffing him so that he would stop kicking me and tearing my clothes, at the same time letting him go in the middle of the street would not have been a better choice, also before that incident he had never even tried to escape me, once carried he's always patient and polite.
    I try my best to treat him as good as I can and that's exactly why I made this post.

4. H.M

H.M PetForums Member

Is your cat neutered. If not you should get it done ASAP. Explain to the vets your circumstance and hopefully they can book your cat in. You should not have gotten a female cat for your male cat to mate to.

Does your cat have cat trees and plenty of places for him to climb? Try to keep your cat amused at home.

Mahi Mahi likes this.
  5. H.M

H.M PetForums Member

Another thing is if you took your cat to the park does he not have a harness on? Anything could easily spook him and he would run off. Either put a harness on him or don't take him to the park at all. Its for his safety.

Mahi Mahi and Mahmoud Elmasry like this.
  6. Mahmoud Elmasry

He does have lots of places to climb, and lots of toys but he's not interested in them anymore, too busy trying to get out.
    also why shouldn't I have gotten a female cat? I thought she would at least keep him busy, or make him happy
    I'm afraid of neutering him cus I feel like I'm taking away something very important to my cat.

7. Mahmoud Elmasry

yeah I tried the harness and he wasn't a fan of it, but the park was enclosed

8. H.M

H.M PetForums Member

It is fine to get a female cat to keep him company but not for him to mate to. That makes you a back yard breeder and there are already too many cats in rescues. Neutering is very important. You are doing it to make your cat a happier cat. He is frustrated that he can't get to other females. Also, as he is not neutered he is more likely to spray in your house and be aggressive. So please get him neutered for his sake.

9. Mahmoud Elmasry

Thank you, I will talk to my vet about it as soon as I can.

Mahi Mahi and H.M like this.
  10. H.M

H.M PetForums Member

Same thing applies to your female cat. Get her neutered too.

11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

This can't be a real post.

Just in case though, the solution is obvious and simple. Neuter your cats.

#11 lorilu, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  12. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

The worried (for your cats!!) side of my brain has too many questions for you, but I’ve been on here long enough to have my doubts on whether this is actually true or not.

If what you’ve said is all true. PLEASE neuter BOTH of your cats ASAP.

#12 ebonycat, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Mahi Mahi likes this.
  13. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I hope he's being kept away from the female now, they cannot be together until both are spayed & neutered. Nor should he be allowed outside to populate the neighbourhood with kittens, fight, pass on STD's etc.

If the mating was recent she can be spayed asap, otherwise around 10-12 weeks after birthing.
    He will remain fertile for up to 10 weeks following his neutering and she can become pregnant again days after birthing which is why it's best to keep them apart.
    Both will need testing for FIV & FelV, ask your vet the appropriate time to test after the last point of exposure (generally 8-12 weeks after keeping the cats inside)

He is not naughty or scared, he's a hormonal cat acting as some studs do - very vocal and when interrupted over a scent can become upset as he did in the park.

Are you in a country with adequate vet care?

14. Is this post real?
    Does anyone actually get a queen for a yowling tom to placate him? An enclosed park? Is there such a thing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice