Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My boy's not well!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by hiwatt, Jul 21, 2021.

1. hiwatt

hiwatt PetForums Member

So..My boy as a kitten was sneezing a lot and had runny eyes and very bunged up..He was taken to the vet and given antibiotics etc..

A few months later the sneezing returned and his eye was really bad with conjunctivitis.I had the vets run tests and he was diagnosed as being positive for herpes virus and had an URI and treated again.

The last 10 days or so he's been off his food,very very nervous and jumpy and sniffing everything in sight and hiding and sleeping a lot but no sneezing this time.

I took him to the vet and the wee soul has a temperature,his gums are really red and his throat inflamed and a bit wheezy.

The vet said it could be calicivirus and gave us antibiotics and loxicom.

I'm really worried about him..He's had a terrible start in life bless him.

He's also really fussy about food.

He eats Iams dry and some wet (Sheba just now)

I've tried him on lots of better quality food and he wouldn't touch it but as the vet said he is really run down I
    desperately want to boost his immune system if possible..

I've ordered Royal Canin wet as he loved that but took him off it as I was told there is loads of sugar in it?

I've been reading bad things about Iams dry..Does anyone here have any experience with it at all?

I need to get him eating again and would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

P.s he's had all his vaccinations and his boosters only a few months ago..He's the only cat in the house and is indoors except for some supervised time out in the back so I'm not sure why he keeps having these flare ups and geting unwell..The vet said the herpes virus will always be with him but only in the eyes and not all through him?

#1 hiwatt, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  2. J. Dawson

J. Dawson PetForums Newbie

Have you tried a vitamin paste? Some are specific for immunity boosting. Hope your little one feels better soon.

3. hiwatt

hiwatt PetForums Member

Hi.No I haven't..I never even knew they existed..That sounds like a great idea.I'll have a look at them..Thank you.

J. Dawson likes this.
  4. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Unfortunately once a cat has had Herpes he will become latently infected (never clear the virus) and so continue to experience flair ups throughout his life. Sometimes the flair ups are mild, but other times they may be worse. Flair ups are caused by stress or the immune system being supressed for some reason. Calicivirus causes similar symptoms to Herpes as does Chlamydia and as they are highly infectious they can all be caught repeatedly by a cat not only from other sick cats but from items around the home such as bowls, litter trays, toys etc. if these are not kept scrupulously clean during the infection.
    L-Lysine used to be recommended to boost the immune system and reduce the length of a flair up, however I believe it has fallen out of favour now.
    Is he fussy with food always or only while poorly?

ewelsh and Calvine like this.
  5. hiwatt

hiwatt PetForums Member

Hi..Thank you for your reply.
    Yeah they did mention it..He isn't around any other cats and there's nothing obviously stressful going on..The initial tests were negative for chlamydia.Just this herpes virus..It's really affecting his quality of life as as he's had a few serious flare ups in under a year..He is barley eating just now but even when he is eating he is really fussy.
    What's really horrible about the whole thing is that he had all his vaccinations and still caught it..I'm just hoping we can get him healthy so he can live a normal happy life.

6. Isolette

Isolette PetForums Member

Would he eat raw chicken? when one of mine long ago had cancer he was fussy but someone advised it ad he wolfed it.

7. hiwatt

hiwatt PetForums Member

Hi thanks for your reply.
    I've tried him with raw mince,chicken,cooked chicken,fish...He'll not eat any of it.
    In hindisght I'm not sure if this is becuase he's been feeling unwell all along.

I'm gonna get him some tins of tuna today as a start to hopefuly get him eating something as he'll eat a wee bit of tuna now and again.

8. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

When my cats had their initial herpesvirus infection, nearly all of them went off their food. I think it is because they cannot smell or taste, so fish is definitely the best idea, perhaps different types of oily fish to see what he will try. Fortunately most of my cats never had a flare up and the ones that did were not particularly ill.

9. Willsee

Willsee PetForums Member

I’m so sorry to hear about your boy, it’s so frustrating when they’re poorly and won’t eat when you know that eating will help them feel better!

If he likes Tuna then maybe try him with Thrive Tuna as it’s a complete wet food so will contain the correct balance of minerals which he needs. It’s not the cheapest food but comes in small 85g tins so not much waste if he doesn’t like it. They do quite a few different flavours, mine love the Tuna and the chicken . Most good pet shops will stock it.

10. hiwatt

hiwatt PetForums Member

When he first had it he was really bunged up and I had powder to help this and had hot steam from the shower to help him breathe but this time he's not blocked up at all but just quite ill..Not eating much at all and hardly drinking..If anything he's got a bit worse since starting the antibiotics and the loxicom.
    Just praying he gets better soon as I can't stand seeing him suffer like he is.

Thanks.

11. hiwatt

hiwatt PetForums Member

Thank you very much.
    I'll give the thrive a try..Although I got some tins of tuna for him and he barely touched it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice