Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My boyfriends mum keeps treating our puppy...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Stephanie Houlden, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Stephanie Houlden

Stephanie Houlden PetForums Newbie

My boyfriend and I have been wanting to get a golden retriever puppy for a long time and have done lots of research. We are now finally buying our first house which meant we could get our first puppy together.

The puppy is perfect and is learning quickly, however the past couple of days I feel his training has taken a step back as he no longer listens to me, he prefers my boyfriends mum!

Even though we told everyone in the house not to give him any human food, she still gives him crisps, crackers and biscuits etc, and now even if I have treats in my hand, he will still follow her as all she does is give him food!

We should hopefully be in our new house within the next few weeks, but what can we do I’m the mean time?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It depends very much on your relationship with your partner's mum. You have to balance the damage of the treats against the strength/fragility of your relationship with her.

For example, if your relationship is strong you should be able to tell her it makes you unhappy. If you dont want to do that, because you dont want to hurt her feelings, you will be in your own place soon and in more control.

3. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

My dad does this when I visit with Woody, he also does the same with my sister's dog(also a Lab).

I ask him every time not to feed human food, as for a Lab Woody is pretty good around food but we have to be super strict.

I now say to my dad that if he keeps doing it and Woody is sick or has an unsettled stomach then he will have to deal with the consequences!

Once we are back at home or my parents have left from visiting he gets back to normal because he knows what my expectations are.

Hopefully when you get into your own place you can re establish the boundaries, in the mean time maybe ask your partner to speak to his mum.

#3 MissKittyKat, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  4. Stephanie Houlden

Stephanie Houlden PetForums Newbie

We have a pretty strong relationship and I have spoken to her about it; every time she goes to give him something I tell her not to but she does it anyway and laughs

Maybe I will get my fiancé to talk to her about it as it is upsetting his tummy too!

5. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

No he doesn't. He just thinks she is a pushover.

I personally wouldn't worry, especially as you will be moving out quite soon. I would explain to your partners mum though that she risks completely ruining her relationship with your new dog. It may seem cute now to have a tiny pup following you about and pushing for food (remember it's just cupboard love!) but Golden Retrievers grow up into big, bouncy young dogs very quickly and then into big bouncy older dogs and your your partners mum is building a rod for her own back as she won't even to be able to open a packet of crips without the dog climbing on her. And it's no fun to have a fully grown dog following you around drooling. He won't do it to the rest of the family as no one else feeds him in that way. Dogs aren't silly!

J

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

All the above plus a gentle hint that she won’t get the opportunity to
    disregard your wishes when you move out as you can leave the dog out of visits.

It might hit a nerve especially as she’s likely to want to do the same if grandchildren come along ;)

Stephanie Houlden likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice