Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My boy was just diagnosed with Osteosarcoma. Just want some opinions

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Teddy Bonkers, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Teddy Bonkers

Teddy Bonkers PetForums Newbie

Hes an 8 year old Rott/Lab mix. He’s a big boy at 120lbs. A bit overweight but we’re working on that. We found a tumor on his front right *wrist Sunday night. It turned out to be osteosarcoma. His blood work and labs all came back great. No trace of the cancer anywhere else in his body. Perfectly healthy otherwise. We’ve discussed amputation and chemo option with our vet.
    We’re just at a loss. Without amputation and treatment, as aggressive as this cancer is, we could be looking at him surviving 4-6 months. With surgery it could be a year or 2 depending on luck basically.
    I just need to hear from you guys and both sides of the coin. Do I put him through all of this to extend his life? Do I let him live out his days with a bad leg and medication. I just lost and sad.
    Thanks

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I am sorry you have had this diagnosis.

@O2.0 may have some advice.

3. Teddy Bonkers

Thank you. Im 50/50. Am I doing wrong by him at 8 years old? Am I being selfish by surgery and extending his life for me? I’ve watched YouTube videos of very happy older dogs with 3 legs.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I think a lot would depend on his build but I really don't know. Is he broad fronted?

5. Teddy Bonkers

He’s pretty much the same all the way through. Big head on the guy tho

6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I really, really don't know so it's purely a train of thought but if it was me, I'd probably be asking the vet how he would do on three legs. But you have to make a very difficult choice.

lullabydream likes this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

That would be my question too. Not all large breed dogs can cope depending what leg it is..

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry you got this diagnosis.
    You're right it's very fast. Our dane girl was diagnosed in September two years ago, and died in November.

We chose palliative care and no other intervention. Amputation is painful, and chemo makes them feel awful. It would have been worth it if it were a cure, but as you know it only extends the inevitable.
    Osteosarcoma is very painful and our only goal was to keep her comfortable as long as possible and then have one wonderful day and PTS. As it was, she saved us making the choice and died peacefully in her sleep.

It's not helpful, I'm sorry, but really, only you can decide what will work for your dog. I totally understand being 'selfish' and wanting to keep him around longer. If you think he will handle amputation well, it may be worth is, but only you can say for sure.

Please keep us posted and know you have support here.

9. Teddy Bonkers

Thanks for the words and story, very much appreciated. If you don’t mind me asking, how long did your wonderful pup show significant signs of failing before she left you? We had a lab a few years ago that we put down and unfortunately stretched his pain longer than we should have. We were new to the experience and didn’t want to give up. I swore I would never do that again.

10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I know what you mean. It's so hard to know if you're letting them go too soon or if you're dragging things out.

She never got very bad. We managed her pain carefully and while she limped on that foot, she wasn't in a lot of pain that we could tell. She was bright and alert to the end, even on morphine. The day she died, she had slept well, had breakfast, went outside for a spell, then came in, laid down for a nap and didn't wake up.
    Our plan had been to PTS when we had to up the morphine to the point she wasn't really 'there' if that makes sense, but she never got to that point.

11. Teddy Bonkers

I’m going to discuss this route for my guy. I really appreciate everything!

O2.0 likes this.
  12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I also had one with osteosarcoma. She was 12 but very fit and well and should have had another 2 or 3 years so probably similar in lifespan to your rottie. The vet never even mentioned any treatment and I never considered it either. She was very well in herself for a couple of months then just seemed a bit off, nothing serious, but enough for me to let her sleep in the lounge for a week or so instead of the utility room with the other dogs. One night she went to bed as normal then came upstairs in a very distressed state (she was not allowed upstairs usually). She spent the night on the bed being cuddled and was put to sleep in the morning.

Very sorry you have to go through this. I definitely do not regret not giving any treatment or considering amputation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice