Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My boy is refusing to wee!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by *Amber*, Dec 9, 2020.

1. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

I’m getting concerned! My boy, Bramble, had a general anaesthetic yesterday, and had 2 teeth taken out. His pre anaesthetic blood test showed glucose, that they felt may have been too high for just stress, so they wanted a wee test to check for glucose too, as they were a little concerned about diabetes. I have another cat, so I’ve had to remove him and the huge litter box to another room, and I’ve put Bramble in the kitchen with a tray with these special beads in that don’t absorb, and then they wanted me to suck the wee out with a pipette and drop it at the vets. The thing is, he still hasn’t been to the toilet, I think because the litter is different and a different tray. I put the tray in the usual spot their giant box usually is. He didn’t have a wee all day yesterday, last night, or so far today, he must be desperate surely?

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Unfortunately cats can concentrate and hold their urine for quite some time. My boy flatly refuses to use a tray (he has 2) and will only toilet in the garden so if the vet needs a urine sample from him I've absolutely no way of getting one ! I have to take him into the surgery and ask the vet to aspirate urine using a very long (thin) needle which is inserted through his body directly into his bladder. My previous cat (who had CKD) had this procedure a number of times and it never bothered him - he just lay there purring as usual !

kimthecat and *Amber* like this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Take him to the vet now. The vet can take the urine through cystocentesis, which is a better method anyway. This can't go on without the risk of him suffering serious health consequences.

*Amber* likes this.
  4. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

Thank you, I will ring the vets!

5. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

I just rang the vets, and they said that can happen after a general anaesthetic, and not to worry. They said if he still hasn’t been in 48 hours, to ring them back. They said his bladder was very small yesterday.

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

My lad would refuse to use those horrible granule things too.
    You could try what I do ,give him back a tray with some of his normal litter in and stay within ear shot ,when he goes in for a pee use a large spoon and just slip it under his bum taking care not to touch him or the litter.
    Meeko is so used to me doing this he rarely bats an eye when I shove something under his bum when he is peeing.

chillminx and *Amber* like this.
  7. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

I’m glad it works for you, but Bramble wouldn’t let me do that! He would get spooked.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

That's a shame ,I have always used this method over the years with different cats .
    I hope you manage to get a sample soon by what ever means needed and that it doesn't turn out to be a pointer to diabetes .

*Amber* likes this.
  9. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

Thanks, I’m anxious that he hasn’t weed still, and my vets shut in an hour! Last night they said put the tray out as late as possible before I go to bed, so it’s as fresh as possible, so what do I do this evening? Take it away again until I go to bed?! If he wees just after 6, the sample won’t be fresh, as I won’t be able to get it to the vets!

10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Are you absolutely sure he hasn't wee' d somewhere other than his tray.
    Personally I would be more concerned right now that he hadn't urinated since yesterday than I was about getting a sample right now.
    You can always pop him in to the surgery in the morning and ask them to do as @lorilu suggested but that is only my opinion and I' m not a vet

*Amber* likes this.
  11. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

He finally had a wee 10 minutes after the vets closed, so I’ve had to throw it all away, as it won’t be fresh by 9.30am tomorrow! So now I’ve just let him out of the kitchen, and he’s with my other cat, and goodness knows if the vets want me to get more beads and try again, or get the wee sample themselves. I just don’t want to stress him anymore at the moment.

12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Maybe you should have just put it in the fridge and kept it until the surgery opened in the morning just incase it was still okay to test it .
    I think the non absorbent cat granules can be washed and reused but best to check this .

*Amber* likes this.
  13. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

The vets said before that I’d need to put the tray down as late as possible at night, they said it needs to be a fresh sample. It’s all in the bin now, so I’ll have to get more beads if they want me to try again.

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@*Amber* - I would have kept some of the wee he just produced because if is needed for checking his glucose levels it will be fine tomorrow morning. One of my cats is diabetic and I have often collected overnight samples of urine from his tray (which has the Katkor granules in it) and taken them down to the vet fist thing nest morning and it has been fine.

buffie and *Amber* like this.
  15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, buffie is right, the non absorbent granules can be washed in soapy water, well rinsed, dried and reused.

#15 chillminx, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    buffie likes this.
  16. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

My vets said it had to be very fresh, so a 6.40pm wee at 9.30am the next morning wouldn’t be that fresh. I can try again if they want me to tomorrow.

17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

*Amber* likes this.
  18. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

Ooops, I wasn’t aware of that! I’ll have to get some more tomorrow and probably stress him out again by having to shut him in the kitchen again poor boy.

19. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

20. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Yes you can use the human ones . I use them for Meeko ,he needs his urine checked occasionally ,
    @chillminx thanks for confirming that the granules are reusable and that the urine should be fine until the morning .
    Its a good few years since I had to deal with a diabetic cat.

chillminx and *Amber* like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice