Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My bitch is having puppies!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kare, Mar 31, 2016.

1. kare

kare PetForums VIP

No...not real puppies
    Took her in for a chat about a spay and timings for her jabs as they are due in the same time period and the vet found she was making milk from her last sets of nipples

Feel bad I missed this, but to be fair I rub her chest not her lower nipples!

Her behaviour has not really been odd...other than hiding more under the sofa than on it in the evenings, but that is more likely a cooling down thing.

Spent a fortune on glactostop or something

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Galastop is eye watering expensive!

When my Tess had a phantom she had no symptoms, no behaviour changes I noticed and boy did I look and look and look! Just the physical signs of engorged nipples but you couldn't miss them at all....just didn't make sense at all to me!

3. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

I took Tilly to be spayed 3 years ago now and vet was like we can't spay her, I was like why. Vet said she's producing milk so looks like she's having a phantom pregnancy no symptoms apart from been more cuddly with me. So after 2 weeks of galastop she was back to been miss independent n no cuddles :(

4. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Can I ask what the vet said about spay and jabs? Phoebe will be due her jabs at the same time as her spay and I was wondering if it's ok to get it all done at the same time?

5. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Some vets will do it others won't you'd be best having a chat to your vet. When they won't they usually recommend having the jabs a couple of weeks early than the due date

6. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Brilliant, thank you! I wasn't sure if they could do the jabs early :)

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You could have the jabs done when you go back for the post-op check, usually a week after the spay.

Nettles likes this.
  8. kare

kare PetForums VIP

My vet recommended getting the spay, and then getting the jabs after. She said I had a 3 month window (15 months after last injection) to get the next set, so TBH I will likely leave it a month at least post spay to get the jabs. Just to ensure she is entirely back to full bounce

Nettles likes this.
  9. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Oh that's good to know! Afterwards would out work better actually. Phoebe was quite ill with her first set of vaccines so I'd rather not have her get a GA if there's a chance she might not be 100% fit and healthy after the jabs.

10. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

@kare when is your girl booked in for? Phoebe has just finished her season so I'm wondering when I should start making arrangements with the vets.

11. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

I'm going through this right now. I took Roxy for her spay and my vet said they couldn't do it, also because she's producing milk. I completely missed it, it's not at all obvious and no signs of behavioural changes. Vet said to give it ten days and then review what to do next. I asked the vet if this is a common thing/what could have caused it and didn't really get a good answer :confused: Does anyone know why this happens? Just for interest sake really as I'll be having her spayed ASAP and then no more worries! :) Phantom pregnancy is just not something I've dealt with before with either of my girls.

12. kare

kare PetForums VIP

She will hopefully still get to have it in mid May. Her season started Jan 13th and was a standard 3 weeks (give or take the weekend where I was still extra careful but I think it was over)

Nettles likes this.
  13. kare

kare PetForums VIP

My vet said Biologically it was the norm, back when dogs were wolves, for the one bitch to get pregnant and then other females to make milk to feed those pups.
    Those pups would have been related to the whole pack, so made biological sense to support them as a pack.
    I wasn't really told that she is having a Phantom. Just seems one is refered to as the other.

The only reason I want the milk cleared (other than trying to get the spay on track) is there is a small lump, which at barely 2 is unlikely of concern, and likely a blocked milk duct, but needs review asap, so will be reviewed on Monday after some Galastop

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

After a bitch has a season she produces hormones that mimic pregnancy. Every bitch does this which is why they are not spayed till at least 3 months after the season as by then they are normally in anoestrus which means the womb is inactive and it is the 'safe' time to spay. Some bitches show varying signs of a false pregnancy but every bitch will be going through the same stage of their cycle even if they do not show any signs at all. I think most vets do not treat it unless there is excessive milk and it quietens down on its own, usually a couple of months after the season.

15. binkybunny

binkybunny Guest

Read the title and was going to say congratulations and then ask if I could have a pup lol and then I actually read the thread and was so glad that I actually didn't say what I was going to say because that would have been embarrassing to say the least.
    Good luck with the op!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice