Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My bitch in heat was caught by 2 dogs, help

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by pinniet, May 15, 2010.

1. pinniet

pinniet PetForums Newbie

My bitch in heat was caught by 2 dogs, 3 days apart, the first was my sisters dog on the 7th day of her heat cycle and i was told they only tied for 3 to 5 minuets, the second was the planed stud on the 10th day of her heat cycle and they tied for 50 minuets, from this information can anyone give me any indication as to the out come of pup's dog 1 or 2, and is it true that a bitch can be pregnant by to dogs at the same time of is this just mith.x

2. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I'm guessing the 2nd, as it's nearer her fertile time, but honestly I don't know, sorry.

3. leoti

leoti PetForums VIP

she could well be the only possible way of telling the parents will be a dna test when the pups are born espically if you want to register them with the KC

4. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Leoti said it all, really.

5. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

yes, she could be pregnant by two different studs. were they the same breed?

6. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

i would not have gone ahead with the planned mating if your sisters dog got hold of your bitch

alaun likes this.
  7. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Yes, she could be pregnant by the two dogs, or just by the first if you are very unlucky.

If it were a litter i'd planned and this happened I would abort the litter and try again with the planned stud the next season so you know for sure what you're getting! But if the first stud is compatible and not closely related or a dangerous cross then its really up to you what you do with the litter, but do beware that you could have an interesting litter....!! :D

8. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

mmmm - I think I would be inclined to give the mis-mate injection as well.

Did you pre-mate her? without doing so, you can't know really when she was fertile - as it was only three days apart and she happily stood for, and tied with both dogs suggests you have a good chance of having pups from both sires (50 minute tie - jeepers - that is some going :lol:).

If you are going to keep the litter, then as others have pointed out, you will need to DNA test the whole litter - if both dogs are the same breed as the bitch and both KC registered with no endorsements then you should be able to register all pups - obviously, if a different breed, you won't.

I can see it making for some very interesting conversations with puppy buyers though :eek:

-------------------

I have read in the dog papers it is not unheard of in a small number of breeds to actively use two sires and DNA test.

If you do go ahead with the litter, I hope you get the results you want.

9. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

sorry, I know this is o/t, but swarthy I would never have thought of that! It might be a great idea for me to get more genes out there. My ES bitch has huge litters. It would be much better if half of them were from a different male. Thanks for the idea! :thumbup:

10. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

:lol::lol: I can't remember who wrote the article - but will do a search and see if I can find it.

I think it was aimed really at the giant breeds - but providing both stud dogs are aware - and you are happy to DNA and permanent mark the pups, then - yes, I can certainly see the advantages.

11. leashedForLife

litters with as many as 3 or even 4 sires have been recorded by the AKC -
    extraordinary bitches with a 3rd litter; the last litter of a 6-YO bitch; etc.

it DOES greatly increase the sire-diversity, and some breeders use it with a maiden-bitch to determine which of the sires produce the ultimate best-pups, for a future repeat-breeding to that sire only - a genetic test-run with real, quantifiable results.

for breeds with small gene-pools, maximizing the diversity of the progeny always is advantageous - assuming of course,
    that all sires and the bitch are screened for breed-specific heritable problems, and their carrier-status is known,
    wherever possible.

i hope U can find some really superb sires for her next litter. :thumbup:
    --- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice